• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    chrisjax
    Participant

Abdorma,

Right on the money about the quality and experience at Mayo. Had a meeting with the general surgeon and he said it all looks like a go next Thursday. I have about 800 meetings on Friday for some preop things. The only one I know know is blood work. I will keep you up to date on what happens.

Ms Poole,

First thank you for the comfort and info that you have given me. You may not know it but it really helps. As for the is this necessarily. The doc kind of left it up to me. Said that I am in one of the judgement call zones so going either is acceptable. His reason for saying it was a good idea is that he does not like the secondary depth of the WLE being more than half the first and I don’t know how much this has come across in the board but I have a very type A personality and given the choice of pain and no better outcome but knowing vs no pain and not knowing I will go through it. I think that it was my father that said I would rather be damned for taking action than inaction.

Since the original dx i have had 4 spots removed which brings the total to 7. One before the mel was atypical but all since including the one last week was completely benign.

Ended up telling one friend since I need a ride home no real detail on why. Do you all tell people. I am a private person but I am also worried about the look people give when they don’t know how good the prognosis is.

Seriously though, I really cannot thank you all enough.

Have a good night,

Chris

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Sounds like you have a good handle on who you are and what you must do to relieve your worry. I believe in being honest and open about these things and you will truly see who your good friends are in the long run. You need support despite being low risk, we all need support to get through the regular stuff in life too! Hope all goes well for you and you will keep in touch here.

Worrywart
    Participant

With the unknowns in your case, I think you are wise to have SNB. Right now there aren’t many treatments if it is indeed in SNB, but God willing there will be in future and if one comes available you will know where you stand and if you are eligible.

chrisjax
    Participant

Had the surgery yesterday morning. The idea of working today was a pipe dream. No real pain or anything but the pills keep me asleep most of the day (I don’t have any tolerance for pills. Last year took a Benadryl and sleep from 10am till after 8). This was one of my first surgeries so I have no real comparison but I woke up and was in a good amount of pain the first day very localized to the wound. But it was almost completely gone when I woke up this morning.

Will be back at work on Monday though. They took 3 nodes I think. I was pretty out of it in post op. I will update after I get results. The cool thing they did is close with some glue so I don’t have to have stitches out in two weeks.

You were not joking about the Mayo’s professionalism. The way that they move you through the different departments and get things done is like a watch.

I do enjoy running and the doc said I needed to lay off it for a 2-4 weeks. The nodes were all in my armpit. What were some of your experiences with getting back to exercise routine after?

Hope all are having a good weekend.

Chris

cohanja
    Participant

Glad to hear you’re through it. I had 2 nodes removed from under my left arm (a year ago), and WLE on my back. I believe your WLE was back of your shoulder? That’s probably a better place than your back – for me, the WLE opened up because it was at a place on my back that pretty much stretches any time you move or do anything. In hindsight, even though the node biopsy under my arm was actually the more painful thing afterwards than the WLE, it healed much much better and quicker. I tried to keep my arm still as much as possible (I’m a righty and it was my left arm). I too run/jog, and I probably started doing so too quickly afterwards. That may have also added to the WLE opening up. 2-4 weeks that you were told sounds about right. Maybe a stationary bike or something would be better sooner since you can just have your legs going and keep your upper body pretty still.

chrisjax
    Participant

Came back clean :D

abdorma
    Participant

That is great news!!!!! Now heal quickly and get back to doing what you love to do!

chrisjax
    Participant

Hey all,

Recovery after surgery is going really well. Was back at work the Monday after and have been good since. Feeling a lot better with the clear outcome. The only question that I had was that I have a lump right by where they took the 3 lymphs from and was wondering if that is normal and how long it lasts if any of you have and this. It seems to be getting larger over the last few days is 2.2 by 3.1cm single lump. The surgery was 10 days ago and it is not painful and i don’t have a fever so I doubt that it would be an infection or anything too crazy but wanted to check. Thank you.

Chris

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Be sure to check with your doctor about this. It may be scar tissue or swelling, but always worth checking it out. Hope you continue to heal well..

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.