Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III bi annual ct scan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    georgec1
    Participant

Hello all

I just went for my six month scan and I went in to see my oncologist this afternoon. He told me the scan came back clean except for one thing. They found a spot on my lung. My oncologist showed it to his pulmonary doctor and they both feel it may be lung cancer but they want to wait until my next scan to see if it grows before they do anything with it. My doctor has a great reputation and the hospital is Sloan Kettering which also has a great reputation and I personally have a lot of confidence in both the doctor and the hospital but this has me a little shook up. I always joke that whenever I go for a scan I get scanxiety and I am at a point where that only lasts for one day but now I’m looking at five or six months of worrying about this. Both my grandfathers died of lung cancer and I smoked from 1964 till 2003 so this has really rocked my boat. I just found this out about six hours ago and I’m the kind of person who feels if something is broke I should fix it right now and I really am powerless over this. Has anyone else had this same problem with lung cancer showing up. I’ve had clean scans since 2015. I’m guess I’m wondering if I’m overreacting to this. Right now the only options that I can see is prayer and meditation. I’ve have always felt right from the beginning of this journey that I would be all right in fact I still believe that and if it does go the other way I will still be all right. Thank you everyone for letting me vent I feel a lot better. If anyone has advice please feel free to give it to me.

George

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Keep meditating! I would discuss further with the doctor. Are you on any melanoma drugs? Or you are free of disease with melanoma? Can they surgically remove the lesion or biopsy it ? There are many benign things that can be on the lung as well. I think they shouldn’t leaving you hanging without some further steps to take. Call them up for further clarification.

georgec1
    Participant

Thank you Catherine for responding to my letter. I spoke with my local doctor and he spoke with the oncologist. This growth was 5 cm six months ago now it is 7 cm. They don’t want to do anything with it unless it goes to 10 cm. The oncologist and my own doctor assured me that it is not melanoma spreading to the lung if it was, there would be a number of growths not just one. The reason there not doing anything now is because it is so small however if it grows to 10 cm they will remove it just to be safe. The oncologist said that if it’s just ordinary lung cancer it is only stage 1 and something about stage 1 in situ. I looked up stage 1 lung cancer and frankly it’s a lot better than having stage 3 melanoma. They answered all my questions and my plan is not to think about it until the next scan at which point I will have 2 days of what I call scanxiety. I can live with that. I read somewhere that one of our greatest strengths is our ability to dismiss any dark or negative thought that would diminish our happiness. Once again thank you Catherine the work you do on this site is wonderful.

George

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.