Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Biopsy Results

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Lisa P. so kindly asked how my biopsy results turned out and although my doctor had hoped for an AK (actinic kertosis) it turned out to be squamous cell. But no worry, I am treating with Fluorouracil cream and hope to not deal with it again. I’ve had one before on my face and had MOHS surgery for it. Glad this is just an insitu!

So thanks for asking and wishing all of you a healthy happy New Year!

cohanja
    Participant

That’s good, right? Anything NOT melanoma is good, I think.

goldengirl2011
    Participant

Good news that it was caught early & it’s not melanoma! Happy New Year!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Squamous cell is a little more risky than basal cell since it can spread. But caught early (just like most melanomas) it is not a problem to worry about. My other squamous was on my cheek and deeper. So I had the MOHS surgery which is a bit of an ordeal, they keep taking layers and look at it under the microscope till you are clear. Those of us with a history of sun exposure (and tanning lamp time) will have these other skin cancers crop up now and again.

cohanja
    Participant

Do those other skin cancers resemble melanoma? Just wondering what to look for with regard to those other types . . .

Lisa P
    Participant

This is excellent news, Catherine. Although I would have loved for it to be nothing — darn near anything is better than the anxiety produced by a melanoma diagnosis. Congratulations and may this be your last skin problem, ever! Here’s to a happy and healthy new year. Fondly, Lisa

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Thank you Lisa for your kind words. Cohanja, change is always the key word with skin cancer. Mine were readily picked out at my annual exam and by myself. Here’s some pictures from NCI: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/skin/page7

Although mine didn’t look so obvious.

Webbie73
    Participant

Wonderful news!

One thing I would like to emphasize is CHANGE. The link shows examples of SCC. mine looked nothing like any skin cancer pictures but did have CHANGE. My melanoma also did not look anything like any pictures of melanoma and did not arise from a mole. So for me CHANGE is the most important factor.

msue5
    Participant

I had a SCC removed from my chest that was a tiny scab. Even the Dermatologist Oncologist who removed it was very surprised. We all thought basal cell for sure. I didn’t even know it was there. The Dr found it during routine skin check. When I had metastisis to my thoracic nodes SCC was something they wanted to rule out but it turned out to be melanoma. Glad it was caught early for you Catherine.

Mary Sue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.