Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Black lights at Parties/Events

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dk06
    Participant

Ok, so totally random question.

I’m assuming that a few minutes of black light exposure (the kind at parties/events that make your clothes glow in the dark) is not something I should be concerned about?

I’m running in a 5k next weekend that is glow in the dark and there will be a few black light zones that you run through on the course. It didn’t even occur to me today that black lights are a form of UVA radiation although it seems like pretty low exposure (unless I’m guessing you sit directly under one for an extended time on a regular basis or something like that?).

Ok…random question over. I haven’t been visiting this board as much anymore. I will hit 3 years from my in situ in August. All is going well.

Tammajenna
    Participant

I’d also like to know the answer to this question, I worked in a bar as a stripper for 17 years!

HoolieB
    Participant

I honestly never even considered black lights as having UV radiation. I’m a dumb arse, I know. :( Anyhoo, I found this fairly techie article that might shed some light (ba-dum-tssh) on the subject. Two things stood out:

Quote:

…UVA light is often called black light. Most phototherapy and tanning booths use UVA lamps.

and

Quote:

…Protection from UV is provided by clothing, polycarbonate, glass, acrylics, and plastic diffusers used in office lighting. Sun-blocking lotions offer limited protection against UV exposure.

Yikes. 😯

http://hps.org/hpspublications/articles/uv.html

Worrywart
    Participant

Very interesting. I would’ve never thought of that. I wouldn’t worry a bit about running under the lamps for such a short time (for the race) but good point about nightclubs, etc. If you are working as a stripper and under this type of light for hours at a time then I might be concerned. Tammajenna – Have you had melanoma?

Tammajenna
    Participant

Yes, I was diagnosed with melanoma in 2011.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.