Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV BRAF/MEK combo approved in the US!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bettin
    Participant

Good news for BRAF pos Melanoma patients- the FDA has just approved the GSK BRAF-MEK combo which prolongates time to resistance and that with fewer side effects!

http://www.gsk.com/media/press-releases/2014/gsk-gains-accelerated-fda-approval-for-combination-use-of-mekini.html

Now fingers crossed that the EMA follows closely, so that also European patients can get access to what has been promising ASCO news for the last 3 times.

Wishing you all the best,

Bettina

MathewR
    Participant

Thanks for posting. Given where I started (heavy tumor burden), I literally owe my life to this combination and am forever grateful to the scientists, clinicians and patients who helped make it available.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

This is good news! Although I did hear that Germany is not approving because of the cost for either of the agents.

Mike6413
    Participant

This combo worked for me for 6 months. I acheived a 66% tumor reduction, but then went resistant to it. I did have to undergo a reduction in dosage due to side effects, mainly kidney

failure. but the drugs did work, and fast.

bettin
    Participant

Good to hear that the drugs worked for you!!

In Europe, the combo isn’t approved yet but yes, cost will be an issue here.

It is so depressing- what is the point of developing drugs that people cannot afford?!!

MathewR
    Participant

Mike, if you’re able to say, what treatment did you move to after the combo stopped working?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.