Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Braf mutation comment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lbeattie
    Participant

Did I read somewhere that Braf + tumors are maybe a bit more aggressive? (I want to be careful wiht my words…) would this apply to all forms of melanoma? or just those that are Braf +…it’s likely too complicated an issue to really say…anyway, thanks much

Sally aka lbeattie

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The good thing about having BRAF postive tumors (and did you know some moles have the BRAF mutation?) is it opens up many therapy options. BRAF found in tumors often indicates intensive sun exposure or tanning salon exposure. There havent’ been a lot of definitive studies, but some researchers have indicated the disease can be more aggressive if BRAF positive.

cohanja
    Participant

Who knows, I believe my melanoma to be from intense sun exposure as a child (many bad blistering burns), but yet my melanoma was BRAF negative.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

How did you get your insurance to cover that? They usually only cover for stage IV. I had no idea low risk folks could have their melanomas tested. Tell me more.

cohanja
    Participant

I don’t know – I didn’t ask or get prior approval, I just asked the Dr to have pathology test for it, and they did. I think I had a copay, but insurance covered their portion.

Specimen type block A1

Specimen adequacy Satisfactory

Estimated proportion of tumor cells studied 30%

Results BRAF normal (nonmutated)

Interpretation The BRAF V600E mutation is not identified in this specimen.

Comments The BRAF V600E mutations has been associated with response to BRAF targeted therapies in patients with malignant melanoma.

lbeattie
    Participant

Catherine…I too had tumor tested (negative)…and I believe my insurance must have covered it, as I did not receive an invoice for this…the test was performed per one of my doc’s request…?!?!

cohanja
    Participant

however i was told that just because this melanoma was BRAF negative, doesn’t mean a future melanoma would be. . so this result has no impact on a future melanoma

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.