Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV BRAF Negative

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    wcacoustic
    Participant

Finally received the result today of the BRAF test which indicated that the analysis “did not detect the presence of a BRAF codon 600 mutation” which in my limited medical experience would tell me Dad is BRAF negative. So the oncologist’s plan is to start Dad on Ipi if the next CT scan does not show any progress on Dacarbazine.

On Catherine’s advice I have contacted Dr. Ribas at UCLA but he is away until next week. I am rushing to find options before Dad is mandated to start a particular treatment in Canada because I do not want to ruin his chances at something that may be more effective (ie: PD-1?). Dad is getting pretty weak from the Chemo but his spirits are high. been trying to keep the weight up…saw an excellent naturopath last week who is focusing on weight stabilization and gain, and mindfulness and meditation.

Anyone else with experiences from the transition to immunotherapy from chemotherapy? Any advice/tips/tricks? Any fellow Canadians gone through our wonderful health care requirements, and again any advice?

I hope those outside Canada are looking as forward to the spring as we are here up north (it’s still so far away!). My best to you all…

Aaron

dkmc
    Participant

Aaron-Don was lucky because he did not have to try “chemo” before ipi. We are partial to this wonderful drug because Don was a complete responder & remains NED. Ipi was a breeze compared to Interferon. He did have some fatigue & near the end a few painful muscle spasms in his hands but pretty smooth sailing overall. Good luck to your Dad!

My daffodils are blooming & we may get some snow tomorrow night(after 60 + degrees today) & we are excited here in Va Beach! haha we can’t help it we get so little snow. : ) -so enjoy your snow for us & I will send daffodil wishes your way…Karen

wcacoustic
    Participant

Thank-you Karen, your post is very uplifting and very much appreciated. Being part of such a supportive and experienced community really helps one push on with optimism and determination. Hopefully we will hear from Dr. Ribas next week and can better know our options!

Aaron

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.