Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Brain mets after 1 year of BRAF/MEK

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cindy5
    Participant

So sad and scary to learn my son’s melanoma is back. After being on BRAF/MEK inhibitor for 1 year, I had started to hope and be a little more optimistic. But, instead we are putting our armor back on and searching diligently for the best options and treatments. He has no other lesions anywhere but now has 1 new one in each parietal lobe. They are 1.5 cm and 2.0 cm, located peripherally. I don’t know if his doctors will recommend surgery or gamma/cyber knife? Any opinions? Any advise from my fellow warriors?

Cindy

zephyr66
    Participant

Cindy,

I’m not knowledgeable enough about suggestions, but I do want to say I’m so sorry.

Sylvia

bettin
    Participant

Dear Cindy,

unfortunately, the combination of BRAF/ MEK works better than one agent alone but still comes with resistance. There is a very good webinar on brain mets here on this webpage which you might find helpful- my husband went through gamma knife without much problems and they treated 3 brain mets at the time. Have you considered some type of immunotherapy?

Wishing you and your son all the best,

Bettina

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Yes, please watch our webinar on brain radiation, click on the tab in the blue section above. Gamma Knife can be quite effective in zapping the brain mets. I would definitely talk to your doctor about that. Switching to immunotherapy (IPI or PD1)is a good option as mention. The TIL therapy is also less available but possibility. We have webinars on all of those topics by the experts. Let us know how things are going.

cindy5
    Participant

Bettina and Catherine,

Yes, I have already listened to the webinar on radiation therapy. All the webinars are so good and so helpful. I sent it on to Z and he is listening to it also. He meets with the neurosurgeon on Thursday. Hope to have a plan soon. I will keep you updated.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

Cindy

Thank you too, Sylvia also for your kind support.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.