Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV brain mets hospitalized cognitive impairment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    njreaders
    Participant

has anyone been hospitalized with severe cognitive and muscle impairment after taking yervoy iip? My husband is and was so bad I had to feed him. He was diagnosed in Nov 2013 with several brain mets after having a lung metastses removed in May 2013 (no primary site).

What do you do? He’s in an acute rehab with 2 PT, 1 OT and 1 speech/cognitive therapy sessions a day, but he is so fatigued he has trouble staying awake for them. We, were scheduled to go to JH, Yale and Fox Chase for evaluation for clinical trials but had to cancel. I’m wondering if he will get his brain skills back. Thanks.

odonoghue80
    Participant

I don’t know what your next steps are or what the doctors are saying. I can give you some hope. Although I still had physical skills in tact last summer but my cognitive skills were diminishing. First, my speech went, and then my writing was next. I ended up having an awake craniotomy at MD Anderson (6 months ago this week). When I came out of the surgery I lost my speech, reading, writing, and even decision making skills. It was scary! As soon as I got out of the surgery I started rehabilitating my skill set again. Multiple sessions per day with my family. Then hired a tudor to the house in additional to outpatient rehab. Now I’m close to where I was before the issue – it’s not easy, but you can do it.

Hopefully they can do something to treat the cancer first. Also, is your husband on steroids right now? Those help me initially with swelling and helped increasing my appetite. It helps initially to give you some false strength. What options have the doctors been able to offer you guys at this point? It seems aggressive. As far as relating to Ipi, I don’t know what to say I didn’t have any side effects (although it didn’t work at all for me either).

I wish you good luck.

njreaders
    Participant

did you have brain mets? Did you get brain radiation? What type of tutoring and exercises did you do? thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.