Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Can we donate blood?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

Might seem like a strange question, but my workplace is having a blood drive this August, and I am not sure if we’re eligibe to donate if we’ve had melanoma. Anyone know? For that matter, I think I registered in the past to be an organ donor, is that impacted by melanoma?

Webbie73
    Participant

I had been told no. I quickly googled the subject and found no clear cut answer. Some websites said wait 10 years orther’s say no. My personal opinion would be no. I would hate to pass on melanoma through a blood donation or organ donation.

cohanja
    Participant

So, it can be passed on that way? Even with early thin Stage I patients, the chance that some cells are floating around still? If our melanomas are considered completely removed, we still couldn’t donate?

Rojam
    Participant

I guess for the same reason we are never classed as ‘cured’.

Some things I read say if you’ve had cancer (except other types of skin cancers) you should never give blood again and other things say you can after five years of last treatment.

However, my melanoma was very thin at 0.25 but I wouldn’t even consider giving blood again, even if I could, unless there was a proper national crisis.

Rojam

X

cohanja
    Participant

I guess that makes sense, except I’ve actually seen the word “cured” used many times. . “surgery cures most early stage melanomas” etc. .

Rojam
    Participant

Hi,

Yes, i see that written too. Honestly though at what timescale are we ‘cured’? We all know the percentages but we all know there’s a very very small risk it could come back after many many years.

I guess if there’s enough blood available then they shouldn’t use ours. Why risk it.

cohanja
    Participant

I guess if it were me, I’d weigh the risk; if I needed an organ donation to live, I probably would take the very small risk and accept the organ

cohanja
    Participant

I guess I see this dichotomy where when we’re talking about us we say how low risk and how very very unlikely we’ll ever have to deal with this again, etc… but then on the other hand we say we should not donate blood or donate our organs because the risk is too great. How can it be both ways?

Rojam
    Participant

Regarding giving blood, I don’t think the risk is too great,I just I think it’s an unnecessary risk. I’m sure if there was a blood crisis the restrictions on who can give would be reconsidered.

Anonymous

My suggestion would be a no even if doctor gives you a clear chit from disease. As cancer is very grave disease why take risk to get it transfer from you to others in minute case.

nick
    Participant

cohanja wrote:

Might seem like a strange question, but my workplace is having a blood drive this August, and I am not sure if we’re eligibe to donate if we’ve had melanoma. Anyone know? For that matter, I think I registered in the past to be an organ donor, is that impacted by melanoma?

I have often wondered this as well. Before my diagnosis, I would donate blood on a regular basis. There seems to always be a need for blood donation so I was more than happy to do so.

When I travel back to MD Anderson in September I will ask them about this. I can see both sides of the argument.

cohanja
    Participant

You’re 1A right? So do you go to MD Anderson for skin checks, or do you see oncologist? Just wondering what follow up care is for 1A, seems to vary so much.

nick
    Participant

cohanja wrote:

You’re 1A right? So do you go to MD Anderson for skin checks, or do you see oncologist? Just wondering what follow up care is for 1A, seems to vary so much.

I was dx’ed by a GP here in my town. I went in for something else and had him remove a mole at the same time. Turns out it was a good decision.

I then had my WLE and SNB performed in town as well. And I met with a local oncologist. But, I wanted another opinion and decided on MD Anderson.

When I first went to MD Anderson, I met with an oncologist and a derm. The oncologist reviewed all my path slides from my local doctors and confirmed/agreed with everything they said; clear SNB, WLE successful, and original path on my mole. Based on my anxiety levels, family history, and my Clark IV .82mm results, she agreed to do a full body CT and MRI. She wanted them for baselines and I requested them for peace of mind.

The next day I had a full body exam from a derm there, Dr. Scott May. He agreed that I was “good to go”, no other moles looked suspicious, and that I could be on a six month cycle of visits to him, no more oncologist needed.

So, to keep my mind at ease I schedule my local derm every six months and MD Anderson every six. That way, I’m seen every three.

cohanja
    Participant

Does MDA do scans/imaging when you go every 6 months?

nick
    Participant

I don’t believe they will. I will only be seeing the dermatologist from here on out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.