• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    trishw

Hello,

I’ve been under the care of a dermatologist for three years after I received a diagnosis of severe with differential dx of melanoma in-situ. I am seen every three months, once at UofP’s Pigmented Lesion Group and three times by my derm. During this time I was diagnosed with several severes, another severe with diff dx of melanoma in-situ and a full blown melanoma in-situ. I was just seen at the PLG on April 17. For the past several years, I’ve had a ‘spot’ on my forearm which wasn’t really visible by looking at, but in certain lighting I was very visible (almost like a round scar). I showed it to my derm several years ago and he didn’t think much of it and Dr. Ming never noticed it (though I didn’t point it out to him). In May, in that same lighting I noticed it looked bigger. Now it is visible in all lighting and appears as a light/medium brown. So, it is definitely larger and now darker, though uniform in color. I have an appointment with my derm in two weeks and am now beginning to panic. Could something turn into melanoma that quickly? Is waiting two weeks too long since I noticed the change in May. Is everything that changes usually melanoma? Thank you.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

It is highly unlikely, but maybe you can get your appt. moved up so you have some piece of mind?

Anonymous

Thank you for responding! Are you saying it is unlikely to go from fine to melanoma that quickly? I feel better because I have tried to get a sooner appointment but so far cannot. I had full body photography done through Penn on April 30th and just received my photos today. This spot was not visible in the photos but below is what it looks like now. I know you can’t diagnos me but I am losing sleep over waiting two weeks.[img]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/glensideshirts/dermatology/leftforearmjune.jpg[/img]

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I don’t see anything alarming, but you are right, the only way to diagnose something is through a biopsy. Maybe you can get in sooner to a GP and get a biopsy (deep shave or excisional) or just have them take a look. Also, I’m not sure what spot you are referring to.. you have a lot of freckles and sun damage spots (we all do!) so hard to tell.

Anonymous

Thank you sooo much for that reply. I am referring to the larger, darker one above my elbow; kind of like a circle. It’s funny that when I look at the picture there is another that is similar just not as dark. Anyway, just the fact that you don’t see anything alarming will help me get through the next few weeks. I have never had anything change before and I know that’s what I have been looking for. Scary now that a change has happened! I am thinking all change = melanoma and I need to calm down. I can handle another in-situ, I’m just so scared that I am watching an invasive melanoma.

Worrywart
    Participant

I’m not a doctor but that looks like a solar lentigo to me (aka age spot from sun damage). I have them too and they can grow pretty quickly. Google solar lentigo images. Probably nothing but always best to get checked out.

Anonymous

Just an update in case anyone notes a similar looking spot. Got in early to derm and biopsy was seborrheic keratosis. First totally benign biopsy I’ve had after about 25. Yay! :D

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Great, thanks for keep us in the loop! Enjoy your summer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.