Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III Check these guys out….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Laniebug6
    Participant

Hello all! I don’t really check in here any more. Been too busy living! I was dx in January 2010 with 3a vulvar melanoma. Did a bunch of horrible surgeries and am still in a clinical trial.

The reason for my post is to share this

http://firstdescents.org/

I did a camp with them a few weeks ago. They take 18-39 year old cancer survivors/warriors on some amazing adventures. It was a life changing experience and I think anyone who can should go! You need absolutely no particular skill or fitness level. I can’t wait to do another one next summer! I went rock climbing in Moab… Can’t wait to try kayaking or surfing. I hope this interests someone. It was unforgettable.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

It is so great to hear from you! This looks like a terrific program. Thanks for sharing and I’m happy you are too busy living life to be hanging around here, although your story does inspire others. Take good care.

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi laniebug,

It’s really good to hear from you. So happy to hear you are doing well.

So glad you were able to experience this adventure. It’s amazing how you really learn to appreciate life after cancer.

Hope your family is doing well. My continued best wishes to you.

Shirley Z

Laniebug6
    Participant

Thank you! These past few years have been very hard on me. I had been living a life focused on everyone around me and forgetting myself. I could have done without melanoma but am happy for the wake up call. My family is doing great but melanoma has thrown some curve balls at my marriage.

I have thought about blogging to share my experience because I know it is somewhat unique but I don’t really want to recount the horror of it all. I’m happy living in the present and trying to live my life full of purpose and good intentions. Melanoma has taken things from me, some simple things like riding a bike, some more complex. It just makes me have to fight harder for everything else that matters.

I hope I never see melanoma on any reports with my name on it but I am a realist and refuse to be blind sided again! So every 3 months I get anxious and have a little freak out. You can’t deny it but also have no control over it. I just try to breathe it in and roll with it. If it comes back, I’ll deal with it. Until then, it is part of my past and I don’t live there… Anymore.

It’s so great you two ladies are still on here giving advice and hope to those touched by melanoma. I spent many moments on here as an emotional basket case. Thank you!!!!

Shirley Z
    Participant

Melanie,

I know what you mean about focusing on other people. A couple of my kids have been going through health issues. I have been kind of on and off the forums also. As my husband reminded me, I have to take care of myself too. Its almost like you foget about your own issues because you are so worried about other things. Especially when it involves your kids.

You have been through an incredibly hard journey. Especially with your type of melanoma. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be for you.

Its been 6 yrs since my diagnosis at Stage IIIC. I still get anxious. The bloodclots last year really scared me since they never found a cause. I feel as you do that I I have to keep going and just deal with it if it comes back.

Its very hard when people you know advance. It really tears at your heart. Right now there are 3 people I became close with that were diagnosed long after me at a better stage than me and they are stage IV. This disease is just so unpredictable.

Hang in there Melanie, you’re an inspiration and believe me with what you have been through its amazing that you are able to pick up and move on.

Maybe someday you can consider the blog. It may be good therapy for you and will certainly help others.

Hugs,

Shirley Z

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.