Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II cimetidine for melanoma

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    farang100
    Participant

Is anyone taking this for prevention of melanoma recurrence.

It is normally used for stomach problems and often called Tagamet and can be bought without prescription and doesn’t have any side effects.

Apparently it has a lot of anti cancer properties and some people have had great results from taking it in melanoma tumour reductions and slowing of disease progression.

1. Armitage J O, Sidner R D. Antitumour effect of cimetidine? Lancet 1979; i: 882-3.

2. Osband M E, et al. Successful tumour immunotherapy with cimetidine in mice. Lancet 1981; i: 636-38.

3. Gifford R R M, Fergusson R M, Voss B V. Cimetidine reduction of tumour formation in mice. Lancet 1981; i: 638-40.

4. Thornes R D, Lynch G, Sheehan M V. Cimetidine and coumarin therapy of melanoma. Lancet 1982; ii: 328.

5. Borgström S, et al. Human leukocyte interferon and cimetidine for metastatic melanoma. N Eng J Med 1982; 307: 1080-81.

6. Thornes R D, Lynch G. Combination of cimetidine with other drugs for treatment of cancer. N Eng J Med 1983; 308: 591.

7. Burtin C, et al. Combination of cimetidine with other drugs for treatment of cancer. N Eng J Med 1983; 308: 591-2.

8. Strauchen J A, Moran C, Goldsmith M, Greenberg M. Spontaneous regression of gastric lymphoma. Cancer . 1987; 60: 1872-5

9. Tonnesen H, et al. Effect of cimetidine on survival after gastric cancer. Lancet 1988; 2: 990-2.

10. Adams W, Morris D L. Short-course cimetidine and survival with colorectal cancer. Lancet 1994; 344: 1768-9.

11. Matsumoto S. Cimetidine and survival with colorectal cancer. Lancet 1995; 346: 115.

12. Adams W J, Morris D L. Pilot study cimetidine enhances lymphocyte infiltration of human colorectal carcinoma: results of a small randomized control trial. Cancer 1997; 80: 15-21.

13. Lawson J A, Adams W, Morris D L. Ranitidine and cimetidine differ in their in vitro and in vivo effects on human colonic cancer growth. Br J Cancer. 1996; 73: 872-6.

14. Hahm K B, et al. Comparison of antiproliferative effects of 1-histamine-2 receptor antagonists, cimetidine, ranitidine, and famotidine, in gastric cancer cells. Int J Immunopharmacol . 1996; 18: 393-9

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

This would be an easy drug therapy, but it is not convincing in the literature as being an effective anticancer drug.

farang100
    Participant

Catherine Poole wrote:

This would be an easy drug therapy, but it is not convincing in the literature as being an effective anticancer drug.

I think there is however enough evidence there that it might be worthwhile for early stage melanoma patients to take.

It cant really hurt and it might be beneficial.

That is my take anyway.

greenshaek
    Participant

Are you taking it farang?

farang100
    Participant

greenshaek wrote:

Are you taking it farang?

Yes I am on advice from my doctor.

Interesting too as a few spots on my face that were precursor skin cancers dried out and dropped off after a few days taking it.

I wouldn’t rely on it thou.

It is a bit of a stab in the dark but cant really hurt.

You should still continue with your main treatment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.