Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Clark’s Nevus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

I’ve had many biopsies come back as “Clark’s Nevus”, including one just last week. What is that, what does that mean? The nurse calls them “precancerous”, but Dr never seems too concerned and never reexcises anything.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Clarks Nevus (named again for Wallace Clark) is also known as dysplastic nevus or BK Mole Clark called them a long time ago. They are perfectly normal in the sense some people have these “funny looking” moles, my husband for one, has many. But our derm never removes them as they haven’t changed or shown any attribute of melanoma. So removing them is really a judgement call and certainly shouldn’t have a reexcision since they are benign.

cohanja
    Participant

I imagine having many of these puts one into a higher melanoma risk category?

Jenni
    Participant

Having many moles overall is considered a risk factor for melanoma, whether or not they are atypical is what I am told. Yes, the risk may go up a bit more if you have a TON of atypical moles but still it is only a small % of risk. It is the same if you have blue eyes, fair skin, blond hair, etc.

I have ALL of these mentioned above and still all my derms tell me that the risk is higher for me than say my husband, especially since I have had melanoma, however, an average person’s risk is like 2% or something….where my risk is like 10%, so at first it scared me, but then I think, well that is still like 90% chance I don’t get another. :)

Jenni

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

My husband has dysplastic nevi syndrome. You can imagine the extra stress that adds to my life! :D And his mother had melanoma too. But he is just followed closely with photography and exams. The dermatologist has yet to suggest any biopsies, although I circle the moles with a pen a lot! So it just means you need to follow your skin closely. And I believe the biggest risk factor is sun exposure! And that is something we all know how to avoid!!

cohanja
    Participant

Even at this point as adults? I thought the damage was already done w/ the sun exposure we got as kids, before the age of 16 or 18 is when the most damage is done. Seems like that ship has already sailed. Or, even now, it can do the same kind of damage to us as adults as it did to us as kids?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Some of the damage is done, BUT, you should not give up your vigilance to protect your skin. You can damage it any age.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.