Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II clinically benign

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

“Radial Growth Phase Melanoma (Nontumorigenic)

Early melanoma tends to grow centrifugally within the epidermis and occasionally as single and clustered cells directly beneath the basement membrane (radial growth), and does not form expansile nests or nodules, even at the microscopic level (nontumorigenic growth). At this stage, malignant cells found in the papillary dermis constitute microinvasive or level II melanoma. Individual dermal nest size at this stage does not exceed those in the epidermis. Radial growth phase melanoma is generally a clinically benign, nonmetastasizing tumor, and complete removal is curative. http://www.derm101.com/videos/audio7/contrary.html

Really, clinically benign? How can malignant melanoma be benign?

Worrywart
    Participant

You should feel good about this one. ;) Its sounds to me like radial growth phase lesions were probably headed towards the tumorigenic, but weren’t quite developed enough to have the capability to metastasize.

cohanja
    Participant

it’s almost like they’re saying in-situ/severe dysplasia/radial growth phase. . all the same . .MIN. . although I think there’s a big difference between dysplasia (benign), in-situ and invasive-even if radial growth phase….

“As melanoma in situ and severe dysplasia could not be distinguished by objective measurements and because their clinical management is the same, it was suggested [by Cook MG, Clarke TJ, Humphreys S, et al. The evolution of diagnostic and prognostic criteria and the terminology of this cutaneous malignant melanoma by the CRC Melanoma Pathology Panel. Histopathology 1996; 28:497-512] that attempts to separate them in diagnostic reports should be discontinued and they could both be referred to as melanocytic intraepidermal neoplasia (MIN). It was also suggested that dermal invasion without a vertical growth component can be managed identically to MIN, and so this invasive radial phase may be appropriately referred to as microinvasion and linked to MIN for the purposes of clinical management… The term MIN (with or without microinvasion) is a synonym for radial growth phase melanoma.”

bon15
    Participant

As someone diagnosed with an invasive radial growth phase for a 0.72mm melanoma superficial Clark 4, I questioned the dermatapathologist who read my slides. From his written reply, it appears that no one in the UK and Australia takes any notice of thos at all and only report on it in the UK as it is in the guidelines to do so. From my own thorough research, it seems that all the research into this is at least 10 years old and mainly stems from a group of people in the US. There seems to be no recent research at all. The dermatapahologist also told me that the determination of invasive RGP is often very subjective, as it was iny case, and his advice was to concentrate on the Breslow depth for prognosis.

cohanja
    Participant

you’re talking about growth phase? radial vs vertical. . as something not focused on there?

bon15
    Participant

Yes. Apparently in Australia they don’t even report on it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.