Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III Compete node dissection on August 29th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Linny
    Participant

Good luck, Gayla! I pray that everything turns out Ok for you.

GaylaB
    Participant

Thanks for all the support everyone! Tomorrow is pre op then Wednesday is the day:) I am soooo ready to get this behind me and on with my life.

You just get blindslided by this-

Thank God for my husband, we really don’t have any other family other than us and our small son who is 6- I don’t see how people without anyone could go through this.

The financial toll of 1 income for a month now hits hard, we all adjust our bills to our incomes, and it’s been moving so fast, I haven’t had the time to wonder or worry about resources to help!!! Any ideas anyone?

I was referred to a couple from Emory- CancerCare which has a $100 cap and NE Ga cancer assistance which has a $500 cap….

Gayla

washoegal
    Participant

Gayla,

During your pre-op ask to speak with the financial services person at the hospital, they are usually the best resource.

Mary

GaylaB
    Participant

We are here! Directly across from the hospital at the Melia hotel- surgery is 8 am tomorrow!!

Prayers requested:)

Thanks everyone,

Gayla

Linny
    Participant

Try to get some sleep tonight, if you can. Stay calm. Most of tomorrow will be a blur. You’ve gotten some good hints and advice here and you’re well-armed to deal with anything that comes up.

Hugs and prayers to you from central Pennsylvania!

krissy424
    Participant

Hugs and prayers for you , Gayla. I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow and Wednesday- stay strong!

Kris

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

It will all be over before you know it. Breathe deeply when you feel anxious. We’re all sending you our good thoughts today.

GaylaB
    Participant

Ok – this is the day after and the pain is MUCH WORSE than u can imagine!! No sleep at all – was in my room around 6 last night – surgery 1 hour, all nodes are gone from right groin and the pain is like burning.

It is 1 pm now – very tired – I would say level of pain is now an 8 – was a 10 until noon today.

Won’t know path results for 2 weeks- may go home tomorrow – cannot walk at all or move from waist down:(

washoegal
    Participant

Gayla, if your checking in…Let the Nurses know you are in pain. The doctor for sure left orders and this is not right. My nurse came in every couple of hours asking if I wanted more morphine.

Mary

Linny
    Participant

Gayla, if you were prescribed pain meds, don’t be afraid to take them — especially at at night. You don’t want every move you make when you sleep to cause you to wake up in pain.

Do like Catherine said, breathe deeply when you feel anxious (or when you feel pain coming on). It will relax you. When you’re relaxed, your muscles will relax too, and help with the pain.

Just keep Sam Donaldson’s time line in the back of your mind — he was up and about again in 3 weeks. You can do it, too.

msue5
    Participant

Gayla

I remember that pain so well. The only way I could get up was with the ABD Binder. You need to wear it a little low so your groin doesn’t move much. The 1st time I got up I thought I would die but each time was a little better. I had my husband there bugging me to move and get up. If your pain is an 8 you are not getting enough. When you are in pain you wont move and that is not good. Ask for stronger medicine. You do not need to suffer!

Mary Sue

GaylaB
    Participant

This is day 2 after surgery- my vein blew yesterday evening that had the IV in it so after being stuck 5 or 6 times, I told them to forget the morphine- no need in being stuck so much – they were alternating morphine 2 hours later Percocet then alternating again . My husband does not approve of pain medication so this gas been a constant struggle and I was not given my pain meds from the first surgery at home- I did not want to argue so I suffered silently.

If I had this one to do over, I would’ve chosen not to do it-

I asked my surgeon about an ABD binder and she acted like I was speaking a foreign language and said that’s not necessary

I am cut 2 inches below the belly button but to the right all the way to the drain which is 5 inches above my knee.

I am so weak

My lips are cracked and bleeding

Mt hair ( long and natural curly) Is a rats nest as I tried to brush it came out by the hand full

I cannot begin o consider walking. Pain med now is Percocet every 4 hours since an IV could not be inserted being dehydrated my veins went deep.

If you have a choice, like I did, remember my experience- is this worth it for a micro cell in the SNB…. I will not have path reports on these 30 nodes until September 11, guess then I will know if it was truly worth it. Keep me in your prayers – still at Emory.

Gayla

Stage III

GaylaB
    Participant

Nurse just left – now Percocet every 5 hours- I am 38 hours after surgery- pain is UNBEARABLE.:(

msue5
    Participant

Gayla

The binder was given to me by the physical therapist who should be the one to determine whether or not you can walk well enough to go home. I never even discussed the binder with my Dr. A therapist just showed up with a walker and when she saw how much pain I was in trying to get out of bed she went and got a binder. The difference was incredible and I continued to use it for about a week after I got home. Maybe a therapist will come today.

Mary Sue

Linny
    Participant

Based on your description of where your incision is, you will definitely need some sort of an abdominal binder to help you get up and move around. You don’t need to wait for a physical therapist to get a binder. You can improvise for now:

1. Have your hubby head to the store and buy a small sofa pillow. Whenever you need to get up to move around, place it on your abdomen very carefully, cross both arms over it to hold it in place, and then get up.

2. Fold up a bath towel so that it measures about 12×12 inches and tape it up so it doesn’t unfold on you. When I had an ovarian cyst removed years ago, the nurses in the hospital actually made one for me. Even drew a smiley face on it for me….LOL. Just hold it over your abdomen very carefully by crossing both arms over it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.