Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III Compete node dissection on August 29th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    msue5
    Participant

Gayla

I originally from the time of diagnosis was ordered Pet/Ct alternating with CT of chest Abd pelvis and left leg(primary site) every 3 mos for 2 years. When I had my recurrence it started over now with just Pet/CT every 3 mos. It is a lot of radiation and that scares me but not enough to outweigh the peace of mind. I don’t like the anxiety of having them and waiting for results. I am already anxious about scans coming on the 18th.

Mary Sue

GaylaB
    Participant

Mary Sue,

How long until you recurrence came?

Linny
    Participant

Gayla,

Interferon is controversial. Yes, it’s the only FDA approved treatment for Stage III melanoma but it’s harsh and the overall survival statistics are about the same as watch and wait. I was shocked when the statistics were quoted to me and actually asked the doctor to repeat them to me.

That said, I’ve read posts from people who did interferon, are doing well, and have no regrets. Others have not been able to tolerate the side effects and stopped treatment. And yes, others have had recurrences.

Scans will become a routine part of your life. My first year after diagnosis I had CAT scans every 3 months. Now I’m on a 6 month schedule. But I still see the oncologist every 3 months because of the vaccine trial I’m participating in. A term you’re going to become familiar with and experience first hand is “scanxiety”. The days and weeks leading up to the scans will be somewhat stressful. So that’s something else that will be somewhat routine.

No one’s going to put you on any kind of treatment until you’ve recovered from surgery. In the meantime, you can always research oncologists and set up appointments with those in whom you’re interested. Don’t be afraid to seek out a second or even a third opinion. :)

msue5
    Participant

Gayla

My recurrence was at 11 months after diagnosis. I still wonder if my SLNB got the wrong node or if there were micromets not detected because the node was completely involved 11 months later although a Pet Scan did not detect it in October.

Mary Sue

GaylaB
    Participant

Mary Sue,

Your story just let me know I made the RIGHT decision in going with the full dissection!

I kept going back and forth with deciding because 2 doctors said no lymph node invasion and the other said “possible”

Better safe than sorry because it sounds like your SNB was misdiagnosed:(. Sorry to hear that

This forum has been GREAT for me!!!

So glad I found it:)

Still no news from the doctor on latest path report – bet it will Tuesday at my Dr visit that I find out.

Then I will be given a regular oncologist at Emory for follow up – I only have a derm and an oncologist surgeon at present.

looking forward to meeting the one that God will use to look over me for any recurrence!!

Have a great day!

Gayla

Stage III

GaylaB
    Participant

Quick question- how long until I can walk again?

I cannot bear weight on my right leg at all – other than a second to get out of the wheelchair, however I can lie on my back and do leg lifts , in increments of 10….

I just want to WALK!

msue5
    Participant

Gayla

I was restricted from walking for 10 days. It was lifted at my 1st post op spot. I used a walker. I also used an office chair to get around the kitchen but I only did this when someone was able to help me get into it safely. It was great to make coffee or make a sandwich for myself. Hope your feeling better.

Mary Sue

msue5
    Participant

Meant to say appt not spot. Stupid auto correct!

Mary Sue

GaylaB
    Participant

How long does the drain stay in?

I do not want to drive 200 miles Tuesday and come home with the drain still in?

I am not getting a spoon full out of the drain in 24 hour periods…

If I should wait for follow up on Sept 18th – I just hate to drive THAT far plus it is so uncomfortable just for her to look at me and I leave

Thanks

Gayla

msue5
    Participant

Usually the drains come out when you are draining less than 30cc in 24 hrs. I have had 3 surgeries with drains and none were pulled out at my 1st post op appt. Have you been stripping them and are you sure they aren’t clogged up. Don’t be too anxious to have them out. If they are pulled too early the fluid will collect in your groin and cause a seroma. This is a pocket of fluid that can be painful and may need a needle aspiration to remove the fluid. But as long as they are not clogged and that is all they are draining they will probably be pulled.

Mary Sue

GaylaB
    Participant

Dr Rizzo just called – ALL CLEAR!!!

And she said she would remove the drain Tuesday – no fluid in 48 hours – my drain is a spring type drain – nurse said this kind cannot clog????

You empty it then push it down and it’s spring operated to keep suction,

I don’t know what other drains look like so nothing to compare it to .

Good news today though!!! ALL CLEAR!!! YAY!

Gayla

msue5
    Participant

Yeah!!!

Mary Sue

washoegal
    Participant

Gayla,

Just read your all clear post…YAHOO!!!!!. If you could walk you could be doing a happy dance so I’ll do one for you! 😆 Once you get the drain out you’ll feel like a new woman. I look back at that day as one of the happiest of my life now (pretty sad huh?)

If you do a search under stage 3 you’ll find 2 threads for “interferon or not”. I chose not. It’s such a personal decision though I try not to weigh in on the subject.

Hope you get to start PT soon.

Mary

Stage 3

Linny
    Participant

GaylaB wrote:

Dr Rizzo just called – ALL CLEAR!!!

And she said she would remove the drain Tuesday – no fluid in 48 hours – my drain is a spring type drain – nurse said this kind cannot clog????

You empty it then push it down and it’s spring operated to keep suction,

I don’t know what other drains look like so nothing to compare it to .

Good news today though!!! ALL CLEAR!!! YAY!

Gayla

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!

What a huge relief for you. Now to get yourself back on our feet again! It’ll come fast enough. :D

krissy424
    Participant

So happy for you Gayla!

I’ve had you on my mind since i read your first post.

This is the best news. Best wishes always!

Kris

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.