Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III Complete node dissection yesterday and some new info

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    brewgirl68
    Participant

Good afternoon, everyone –

I had my CLND of right axilla last evening. The doc feels like he got everything out that needed to come out. It took an hour longer than planned, so about 3 hours, but he was able to save some of the pectoral muscle that he originally thought would have to be totally resected. Didn’t get out of surgery until 7:30, home at around 9:00. The nausea is pretty bad but pain isn’t awful as long as I don’t move this arm more than a millimeter. All in all I’m feeling good, final pathology will come in a week.

The slightly distressing new development is a spot that showed up on my brain MRI. On Monday the nurse told me it was negative, and I was elated. But yesterday the surgeon said that there is actually a small spot that is undetermined origin…potential mets or a blood vessel. So another brain MRI in 3 months. This through me for a bit of a loop, but I’m trying to focus on recovery first.

Thanks for your support!

Sheila

Linny
    Participant

Thanks for checking in, Sheila.

Yes, your arm will feel stiff and sore but you’ll gain more movement back each day.

A breast cancer survivor friend of mine gave me a stretching exercise to do. She had a double LND and has no lymphedema. My surgeon gave me the thumbs up for this exercise. The nice part is that you can do it sitting, standing, or lying down.

1. Start with your arm at your side.

2. Place your fingertips on top of your shoulder. Your fingers should be pointing at your neck and your elbow should be in line with your body.

3. “Walk” with your fingers up your shoulder. Stop as soon as it hurts and “walk” back down to your shoulder. Repeat that about 5 times. Do this about 4-5x a day.

4. Gradually increase the distance of the “walk”. The goal is to “walk” over the top of your head to the top of the opposite ear. But — you’ll be lucky to make it past your shoulder right now. Be patient and don’t overdo it. When it hurts, stop.

Sounds like your doctors are leaving no stone unturned. That spot doesn’t have to be melanoma but they’re not taking any chances. So,the MRI in 3 months sounds like a reasonable course of action.

Your job right now is to take care of yourself and recover from your surgery. You should have most of your mobility back in about 2 weeks. There will be some more stretching you’ll need to do after that but it will become easier as time goes on.

Linny
    Participant

Thanks for checking in, Sheila. Sounds like your surgery went well.

Yes, your arm will feel stiff and sore but you’ll gain more movement back each day.

A breast cancer survivor friend of mine gave me a stretching exercise to do. She had a double LND and has no lymphedema. My surgeon gave me the thumbs up for this exercise. The nice part is that you can do it sitting, standing, or lying down.

1. Start with your arm at your side.

2. Place your fingertips on top of your shoulder. Your fingers should be pointing at your neck and your elbow should be in line with your body.

3. “Walk” with your fingers up your shoulder. Stop as soon as it hurts and “walk” back down to your shoulder. Repeat that about 5 times. Do this about 4-5x a day.

4. Gradually increase the distance of the “walk”. The goal is to “walk” over the top of your head to the top of the opposite ear. But — you’ll be lucky to make it past your shoulder right now. Be patient and don’t overdo it. When it hurts, stop.

Sounds like your doctors are leaving no stone unturned. That spot doesn’t have to be melanoma but they’re not taking any chances. So,the MRI in 3 months sounds like a reasonable course of action.

Your job right now is to take care of yourself and recover from your surgery. You should have most of your mobility back in about 2 weeks. There will be some more stretching you’ll need to do after that but it will become easier as time goes on.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.