Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Confusion re: IPI outcome/stats.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    zephyr66
    Participant

hi all… i am confused. i have heard for quite a while that IPI, when successful, is often successful at keeping the melanoma at bay for a long period of time. i just saw this study where it shows the response time of IPI to be very, very short – from a couple months to well under a year with most people having passed away within a year. does this data conflict with newer data? it’s very discouraging to be going through something with this amount of side effects if it usually only gives someone a few extra months. we heard from our doctor that “when it works”, it’s likely to work for a very long time and this article is at odds with that. any insights? thank you!

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cncr.24951/full

sylvia

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

For melanoma, which has only had slim progression free survival with IL2 and a few other therapies, IPI seems very promising. Yet only 15-30 percent of patients respond to this treatment. I do know of long term NED responses but I work with a lot of patients. It isn’t the homerun we’re seeking, but possibly in combination with other therapies it will improve its response rate. Sorry to hear of the adverse side effects..

Cecelia
    Participant

Sylvia, we have found it very helpful to think of each treatment as a stepping stone across this river. When Margaret went on tmz, ipi wasn’t yet available, but it was there by the time she needed it. When she went on ipi, zelboraf wasn’t available, but she’s on zelboraf now. All we’re hoping is that zelboraf keeps working until anti-pd1 is available–and then we’ll watch for the next one. I hope you keep finding the same stepping stones!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Cecilia,

What a wonderful way to put this. That is exactly how it is working for patients. I wish we had more options and better access though! Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.