Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Couple of questions, newly diagnosed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    7spider
    Participant

Good luck ! Sounds like you’ve done your homework and you trust your Dermatologist, best wishes !

Onlymej
    Participant

Thanks 7spider, I appreciate it. Hoping to hear from others who have experienced this diagnosis and how everything fared for them, also looking for some positive words as I am not hysterical, but of course concerned about what it means for my future health…

Worrywart
    Participant

You said the Dr said you had Lentigo Maligna MELANOMA – which is termed LMM (or invasive lentigo maligna). Lentigo Maligna (LM) and Lentigo maligna Melanoma (LMM) are different – one can kill, one hypothetically cannot.

Your Dr may be great, but the cauterizing and the MOHS were flags for me.

Personally, I’d get another opinion. You may have a ‘MOHS-Happy’ Dr.

cohanja
    Participant

Can someone explain what exactly cauterizing is and why it’s done and why it’s of concern? What bad things can it do to melanoma?

Worrywart
    Participant

Her Dr biopsied a possible melanoma and then cauterized (burned) the area to stop bleeding. There was melanoma cells still on her skin. The Dr cauterized them, which may affect the reading of the pathology after it is excised. If the lateral margins were involved she won’t know if this lesion had an invasive component until after it is further excised by a WLE. Or if she has MOHS she will probably never now.

Onlymej
    Participant

Okay just to clarify, I probably wrote what the dr said down wrong, he said melanoma in situ – not LMM – he never said that…… I think the dermatologist who graduated from medical school knows the difference between the diagnosis. I dont know, call me naive.

Secondly, I am not sure the dr cauteried it. I just asked the question becuase I did not look while she was doing it. But if you have mohls surgery they do check for invasiveness just like a WLE – I asked the surgeon. That is the whole point of mohls surgery, to check the margins for atypical cells. I have a call into the surgeon to discuss all of this, but everything – everything – I have seen reports better cure and local recurrence rates for mohls for early lentigo maligna than for WLE.

http://dermatology.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/1994/901/1

This is not a new procedure. it has been done for lentigo maligna for many many years. The only thing I dont know why he is recommending it other than I read its preferred by many dermatologists over WLE. But this is on my arm and not my face where most lentigo malignas are, so that is a valid question. The only thing he said to me he didnt want a big chunk taken out of my arm when it was not needed, they will START at 5 mm and then they got from there until they get all atypical cells gone and clear margins.

Honestly, I posted on here for a little support and positive vibes. I have some questons but I was not too scared about this until I logged on here…… my dermatologist is very sure this was very very early and I will be fine. He was shocked I even took note of it. Its a valid question why the dr recommended mohls, but we can discuss pros and cons of treatments without being confrontational or making the person feel like they are doomed or something.

Onlymej
    Participant

Okay I found out they didnt cauterize the area after the deep shave biopsy, they applied some sort of topical thing that make it stop bleeding . I just wasnt sure what that stick thing was put on it afterwards.

7spider
    Participant

I actually think you’re in a good position. You caught it early and you were given the option of the Mohs surgery. I wish I caught mine sooner and could of had that option, cause honestly if I were in your shoes, I’d probably do what you are doing. So let me be the positive viber. Oh, I also agree w/ your idea of having another Dermatologist do your skin checks. I’m alternating every 3 months w/ my surgeon and my Dermatologist. Two sets of eyes and opinions are better than one. I think ? John

Onlymej
    Participant

Thank you 7spider. I think that’s what he was trying to say that it was so early this was an option for me. I called the surgeon to ask a few questions but everything I find out about seems positive in my situation.

Worrywart
    Participant

Well, that’s good that you just got info wrong – I would have been worried if doc confused LM with LMM! ;) There have been people on this site who have had MOHS for melanoma and then regretted it after seeing a derm who specializes in melanoma, so yes, there are quack docs out there! My Derm was a MOHS surgeon at the University of Colorado pigmented lesion clinic (melanoma speciality derm). They did WLE on me. They don’t use MOHS unless it’s on face of elderly.

Good luck!

Onlymej
    Participant

Worrywart wrote:

Well, that’s good that you just got info wrong – I would have been worried if doc confused LM with LMM! ;) There have been people on this site who have had MOHS for melanoma and then regretted it after seeing a derm who specializes in melanoma, so yes, there are quack docs out there! My Derm was a MOHS surgeon at the University of Colorado pigmented lesion clinic (melanoma speciality derm). They did WLE on me. They don’t use MOHS unless it’s on face of elderly.

Good luck!

Yes I also saw the pathology report.

That’s great! I am glad you are okay now. When do you stop thinking of it all the time?

7spider
    Participant

Your anxiety will probably ease up after the surgery is over with. You’ ll still think about it a lot, but in a way it’s good and keeps ya on your toes. Just keep a close eye on your skin and watch out for Mr. Sun. You’ll be fine.

Onlymej
    Participant

I guess I just feel different like I am no longer healthy……will that go away? I can’t stop thinking something bad is going to happen to me.

cohanja
    Participant

I know, I feel exactly the same way, Onlymej. Additionally, I feel like when I am outside with other people wearing shorts, tshirts, etc. . and I’m totally covered. . that I’m some kind of freak or something. But, more importantly, I feel like you. . I’ll never be 100% healthy again, this will always be lurking somewhere possibly returning, etc…. I was a litte past in-situ, I was/am 1a.

7spider
    Participant

Well, I’m 1b. Don’t like it ! Wish I would of caught it earlier, but grateful I caught it when I did. So many not us fortunate as we are. Think positive, stay informed and do what the Doc’s say. People texting and driving, now that scares me, big trucks too !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.