Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Dabrafenib after Zelboraf

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    crburton28
    Participant

Is there any reason to think Dabrafenib will work after Zelboraf has failed (my husband has been taking it for 20 months and has started to develop tumors @ the spine).

erinmay22
    Participant

I’ve wondered the same thing. I took Z but only lasted about 4 months on it before having growth.

I would think there is a possibility it may work. What would be more interesting is if your husband hasn’t had the MEK inhibitor – trying that.

crburton28
    Participant

He has not had the MEK. We will try anything at this point.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The BRAF agents are different and there is good reason to hope for promising results trying another. I agree the MEK is a different pathway than the BRAF so indeed may result in a good response not found the first time with BRAF. This is all new territory and you folks will be the pioneers! Hope to learn more at ASCO, which starts tomorrow.n Stay tuned.

palmtree
    Participant

My husband was on Zelboraf from November last year until a couple of weeks ago – it was amazing he improved immediately. However, the cancer has now become resistant to the Z and his mets in his peritoneum/omentum are developing at an alarming rate. He has also got the ascites back which is very debilitating. He was due to start Yervoy this week but his oncologist says he is not well enough and even if he managed the first dose it is unlikely he would last the course, he has both a high red and white cell count and is dehydrated from the ascites. We are in the UK so Dabrafenib is not yet licensed here. I am trying to get him on a trial in London even though he does not meet their criteria. This is for Dabrafenib with Trametinib. I have no idea if they will accept him, this is our last hope. Do you think that after failing with Zelboraf there is any chance that this would work?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

It is possible. Also, after being off zelboraf and reinducting it is a possibility. What happens is the tumor gets smart with the braf drugs but after being off it for a while, sometimes you can fool the tumor again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.