• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

I know this sounds like a crazy question, but it baffles me and since I just got a papercut it has made me curious again. I’ve heard that thin melanomas have not gotten deep enough to reach blood vessels (through which to spread). I don’t understand why they would need any depth at all to reach blood vessels? I mean if I pull a hangnail, it bleeds. If I ever so slightly break skin with a papercut or something like that very superficially, it bleeds. So, aren’t blood vessels right there at the surface anyway? Why would it need any depth to reach those?

Worrywart
    Participant

Well, a 1mm melanoma has the potential to spread, or they wouldn’t do an SNB for melanomas at that depth. Some even do one at anything over .75mm. 1 mm is very shallow, look at a ruler to get idea of how shallow. The epidermis doesn’t even have blood vessels, I’m pretty sure it’s mostly dead skin. For instance, if you get a superficial scratch then you get a white line, but no blood.

cohanja
    Participant

Right, but anything with any depth. even thin depth of 0.2 or 0.3mm, etc… has gone past the epidermis to the dermis. So, how deep in the dermis does it have to be to reach blood vessels? Seems like a very superficial break of the skin still produces bleeding.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.