Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Dermatopathology

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    krissy424
    Participant

Listening to the Webinar about pathology made me rethink a few things. It was excellent and I’ll have a couple of questions as soon as i have time to view it a second time and go over a couple of points made. Wonderful doctor and easy to follow considering the topic.

The doctor that did my studies after the deep shave bx has the credentials below.

Board Certification

Anatomic Pathology, 1988

Dermatopathology, 1989

Education

M.D. Harvard Medical School, 1983

Ph. D., Harvard University (Anatomy; Cell Biology), 1983

Specialty Training

Internship and Residency:

Anatomic Pathology, Brigham & Womens’s Hospital, Boston, 1983-85

Dermatopathology, Massachusettes General Hospital (MGH), Boston, 1985-86

Senior Resident in Dermatopathology, MGH, Boston, 1986-87

Professional Memberships

American Society for Cell Biology

Society of Investigative Dermatology

American Society of Dermatopathology

American Society of Investigative Pathology

===========

I feel I was in very good hands with the first pathology reading.

The doctor who did the pathology after the Wide Excision is from Australia.

He’s NOT a Dermatopathologist at all.

Board Certification

Anatomic and Clinical Pathology 2001

Hematopathology 2002

I’m not sure if i just forget about it since i have a great prognosis, or if i should have the Wide Excision slides checked by a Dermatopathologist . I am paying cash out of pocket for all my medical care, otherwise i would not hesitate. The first path report was in the neighborhood of 700.00. The second path, i am waiting on the bill.

Thanks for any advice. Kris

cohanja
    Participant

Is this to get another opinion on the initial biopsy slides or the WLE excision material ? Was there a question with the WLE excision as to whether it was positive or negative for melanoma?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I believe your original pathology is what is most crucial and having it read by an expert. The wide excision rarely shows anything. But if you are concerned, you could have the first pathologist review those slides too.

krissy424
    Participant

Catherine posted:

Quote:

I believe your original pathology is what is most crucial and having it read by an expert. The wide excision rarely shows anything. But if you are concerned, you could have the first pathologist review those slides too.

Thank you, thank you!

This is exactly what i wanted to do, but was questioning my judgment do to my limited experience with melanoma. i will have to wait a month or two to make the request, but know it will give me the peace of mind needed. This was the first time since my experience began that the emotions hit me. May seem like a little thing, but I so appreciate your view, Catherine.

Kris

1a

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.