Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Diet changes to kill the cancer – like no sugar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    EOTTFM
    Participant

I am part of a local support group. Many of the members believe diet plays a big role in fighting melanoma and especially reducing sugar intake to “stop feeding tumours”. I understand the origins of this thinking and do not agree with that line of thinking. I do understand the need to take some control – where you can, it helps with mental health and good mental health is important. I have also noticed the subject of diets, (esp. alkalizing, and sugar reduction) is like religion. It is hard to change a persons religion or view on religion.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Yes, it is like a religious belief for some but sometimes these supplements are harmful. But the profit motive is strong for the market. Good for you to maintain your sense of judiciousness.

CelineJouvet
    Participant

The sugar-free diet is true, because I had a member of my family in the hospital for cancer, and the diet they put on him was lacking in sugar.

On the other hand, the information that circulates on the internet about diets that alkalize the body as beneficial against cancer is interesting.

Alvina
    Participant

I tried an all vegan diet and from experience I can say that my body didn’t like it. I felt weak and tired all the time and I think (no proof) that the melanoma spread faster.

Respman
    Participant

Order a pizza. Get the extra cheese. Just be happy. I’m probably not the best person to discuss diet (if you saw me you would understand why. Melanoma doesn’t just hit the skinny folks) but when I was first diagnosed with stage 1 nine years ago, they did surgery, no chemo, AFLAC gave me $7,000, I stupidly thought I won the lottery. Cancer without the cancer. I spent the next few years not taking vacations (I can go later), not having nice things (there will be plenty of time when I retire), I didn’t have cancer anymore so now it’s time to be responsible and adult. A year and a half ago I had pain down my arm and every doctor told me it was chronic from a slightly compressed disc between C6 and C7. I went to pain doctors, neurologists, chiropractors, physical therapists and a neurosurgeon. They all said the same thing. Chronic pain, not bad enough for surgery, have some narcotics. Luckily the neurosurgeon decided to humor me and order a CT of my cervical spine. That’s when we found the hole in my skull from the tumor that started in the neck muscle under the occipital skull and burrowed through into the cerebellum. All these doctors missed what would had killed me in a few more months. The shoulder and arm pain were from the inoperable 4cm tumor in my chest. I continued to luck out and be BRAF positive so I’ve been on Zelboraf and Cotellic ever since with horrific side effects, but I’m in remission. I’m a realist. I understand it could last 2 months or 20 years. The other thing I realized is how much quality time I missed. Since the stage 4 diagnosis I have been to Alaska, England, Wales, and Scotland. I made sure my wife was taken care of so when I go she will be fine financially, but we go to amusement parks with the grandkids, take walks when my joints aren’t too bad, go to movies and eat good food. Of course you have to adult a little, but don’t deprive yourself of anything. A pizza on the balcony of your Italian hotel is a hell of a distraction.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I totally agree! Thanks for weighing in on this. Life is short and there isn’t a special diet that can help or hinder cancer. Activity though is a wonderful thing that can boost your spirits and increase your immune system. Run and play if you can! Hang around some children! They tend to bring a smile to your face. Happy NEW YEAR to all of you..

jacquesberther
    Participant

YES YES YES Congrats you did make feel really good. Yes life is too short and the little pleasure shouldn’t be take it away. Remember all excess isn’t good but moderation make life feel way better. If you feel really down just get a ice cream maybe you will have those 5 minutes of happiness = normality. You can’t fight with out reward… good luck what ever work for you but don’t believe on diete to take care of this … will help but at what price that your call …

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.