Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Different Braf/MEK combos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cheris
    Participant

I am getting very confused on the various forms of Braf/Mek combos. Is one better than the other? How does the oncologist choose the best combo for the patient? This will be my next step. Thanks wonderful people.

Cheris

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The only one approved by the FDA and having significant data is the GSK dabrafenib and mekinist. Zelboraf now has a combo MEK but it is still in trial. So until we get robust data on that one, I would go with the dabra/mek. Are there others I’ve missed?

Lesli
    Participant

Hi Cheris,

My doctor prescribed Zelboraf with the Mekinist. When I asked why he had opted for Zelboraf, his reply was that he “knew” Zelboraf better, preferred extreme sensitivity to sun over the fever that can come from Taflinar.

I lasted 9 months to the day on the Z/M combo.

Leslie

cheris
    Participant

Thank you Catherine and Lesli. I think I may be confusing brand names and scientific names.

Lesli, did you have any side effects?

Cheris

Lesli
    Participant

Hi Cheris,

I responded to the BRaf combo SO quickly. Within 72 hours, I had no symptoms of melanoma (prior I had suffered from pain in legs and hips, significant fever). The response was so rapid that I called my Oncologist to find out whether there are narcotics in the medicine (there are not).

Unfortunately for me, I did not understand the degree of “sun sensitivity” that I would suffer. I walked from my car to the house and suffered severe burns. 2 minutes on my porch giving leaf raking directions (in October) and my legs blistered and the subsequent burn symptoms led to mouth ulcers and fevers.

If you are prescribed Zelboraf, don’t leave a speck of skin unprotected, including your lips.

Taflinar is said to not be so dramatic, but the fever associated with that drug can be debilitating for some.

Would you mind sharing your oncologist’s strategy? Were you partially/completely/not successful on Ipi?

Leslie

PS: Catherine will know better, but I have always assumed that Taflinar and Zelboraf (both with similar actions) combined with Mekinist are interchangeable as the “BRaf Combo.”

rick1981
    Participant

Hi Cheris,

My wife also had an extremely quick response to the BRAF/MEK combo, some sub-skin lesions literally “disappeared like snow under the sun”.

In terms of names (first is the brand name, second the medical name):

Tafinlar = Dabrafenib

Mekinist = Trametibib

Zelboraf = Vemurafenib

Hope that helps,

Rick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.