Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Drugs for Brain Mets? and retest for BRAF status

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nikki7465
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m just curious if anyone knows of any drugs that will work on brain mets? He’s currently receiving whole brain radiation and will start on dabrafenib after that because our oncologist said it has been shown to work on the brain.

Also, just an interesting piece of news…..we were told he was BRAF negative in April and had another tissue sample retested now and found that he was actually BRAF positive and has missed out on months of treatment options……they said that there’s a 10-15% chance of a false negative…..so don’t be afraid to ask for another test!

benp
    Participant

Hi Nikki,

I was given Dabrafenib as part of a clinical trial studying the effects of the drug on brain mets. It worked quite well for me.

Here’s a link to the paper on the study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23051966

Ben.

nikki7465
    Participant

Thanks Ben……this drug sounds pretty good!

buffcody
    Participant

I was tested twice for BRAF status and both times the test came back negative. When complete gene sequencing was done a few months after the second of the two tests the report was that I was BRAF postive.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.