Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Excellent tips on mental health

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster
    cohanja
    Participant

” Learn to recognize the thoughts you dwell on most, and train yourself to avoid those obsessive pathways”

so so so much easier said than done. . at least for some of us that have the type of personality that lends itself to obsessive thinking, especially about something like the uncertainty of a mel diagnosis where it’s forever (at no point are you “out of the woods”)

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

If you can learn to do mindful meditation, that helps this overthinking that we all do. Need to clear out the brain of thoughts if you can. Jon Kabat-Zinn has some good books on this.

cohanja
    Participant

I know. But unless Kabat-Zinn can fundamentally change my personality as a worrier. . .

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

No, only you have the power to do that by practicing meditation daily along with other things.

Andres98
    Participant

Undoubtedly a useful thing,Basically i believe that being mentally healthy is important then physically both are important but if a person is mentally good he can actually enjoy his life.

You have shared a useful article.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Quote:

If you can learn to do mindful meditation, that helps this overthinking that we all do. Need to clear out the brain of thoughts if you can.

I’ve tried to meditate before, but it didn’t work. Are some people just not cut out for meditation? I think it would help me de-stress both at work and after I go home. It might help me enjoy my weekends a little more, too.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Practicing meditation is helpful and there are lots of tools to help on utube, and the books and CDs by Jon Kabat-Zinn. I do one of his cd’s and it really helps. You just have to clear out the mind stream and even trying does help. Yes, it is hard, but gets easier as you remind yourself that you are thinking instead of concentrating on breathing etc. Taking time out for deep breathing is very useful too.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Thanks, Catherine.

lisarose001
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this mental health tips.. Really very much beneficial

Sznn
    Participant

Going to really have to attempt meditation – or something.

I was feeling pretty relaxed about the whole scenario after getting the all clear from the oncologist a few weeks ago. Very short lived as I had a Derm checkup last week and Voila!…2 more spots need biopsy. One is really close to my eye.

Now I am feeling anxious and back to thinking about melanomas again.

Ugh, what a roller coaster ride.

S

niravarav
    Participant

Thanks cohanja!

Nice and informative post. We looking more from you. Go one :D

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.