Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Exercising outdoors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    heronlover
    Participant

I am curious what everyone is doing about staying fit. My husband and I are avid hikers. My recent melanoma diagnosis has made this more complicated. Does anyone have feedback on how they deal with the sun and still enjoy being outside? Paula, stage 1b since April 2012

cohanja
    Participant

This may not be the best answer, nor the most comfortable option, but I pretty much cover up completely if I’m outside in the sun, even if it’s a really hot day. But, I did go to REI and get some pants, shirts, hats, etc. . that are SPF and supposedly still keep you cool, although it is still really hot to be wearing long sleeves, long pants, etc. .when it’s 95 degrees. But, at this point, I’m almost used to it by now so it doesn’t bother me too much.

marti
    Participant

My mel was on my ear, so i avoid any sun at any time on my ear, always have a buff scarve with or without visor with me. Personally i have accepted that the sunshine, as it was called in my younger years, is called sun radiation now, and act accordingly. I am a vivid scuba diver, whilst diving from boats is usually around midday so i wear the entire boattrip a dive suit, stay in the shade and wear a full brimmed hat. walking jogging is reserved for early or late hours, and still cover up. Yes, as Cohanje has added it can be warm, with long sleeves and long pants, I am also used to that, and i prefer this over sunscreen out of a bottle. Ofcourse I use a sun block on my face. And I dont care what others may think or say to me about my ” odd dressing” habits.

There are different opionions about limited sun exposure, but i made up my mind, my skin had enough sun, and tak vit D3 by pills and i will only allow 10 min outdours with some sun on arms or legs max.

Marti

cohanja
    Participant

What I don’t know is if sun exposure now as adults does the same thing as the sun exposure we got as kids. It seems like the burns we got as kids cause the melanomas we get as adults. The sun exposure as adults might lead more to non-melanoma skin cancers as we age (those are obviously no fun either, so you’d want to avoid that too)

krissy424
    Participant

I like swimming laps for exercise. I went the sunscreen cream/spray route. About one ounce, rubbed in well, waterproof – and reapplied every 2 hours. I’m embarrassed to admit how much “color” my skin picked up even with the products used as directed. Both were top of the line spf 30 and 70. Need to buy more today because the agents confiscated it at airport security check in to Alaska last week. Where do you find this special clothing?

cohanja
    Participant

Coolibar, Sunday Afternoons, REI, etc. . .

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

You really do need at least 20 minute of unprotected sun for vitamin D. Vitamin D is important to your immune function, just saw where it prevented colds in kids. So enjoy yourself outside during the early morning and late afternoon and evening. Cover up during the other times. Most sunscreens don’t work well under water or sweat so don’t count on them to protect you. Clothing is far better, and we do have a list of clothing folks you can buy from that we’ve given our seal of approval to: http://www.melanomainternational.org/resources/sealofapproval.html

marti
    Participant

Thanks Catherine, I ill prolonge my sunexposure to 20 min. Daily, just keeping my face and ears covered with sunscreen and or hat, so th vit D can be made through skin on legs, arms. Thanks to Spf clothing i can lead the same life as before diagnosis, yes if your used to it, it becomes second nature.

Marti

Meggpt
    Participant

Has any of you tried / heard of the SunGuard detergent? Is it any good / whort any $$$? Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.