Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II facial sunspots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

How do you differentiate what is of concern on face? I have a lot of sun exposed parts of my face where I see the spots (around my eyes, temples, etc. . ) maybe more now than I did some years ago, etc. . but how I do distinguish what is of concern, I don’t want the Dr slicing and dicing my face everytime I go in

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I have those too, age spots they call them. Sort of bad looking freckles that are due to sun exposure. Your derm should be able to differentiate and not biopsy everything. But I do with whether they are flat.

Rojam
    Participant

hiya,

ive started to get them on my hands now. just turned 44. i must be getting old!

cohanja
    Participant

the general “non-melanoma” population probably doesn’t worry too much about them; but, for us, we have to be so hyper-vigilant, how can we distinguish ones to worry about?

HoolieB
    Participant

Like Catherine mentioned, I let my derm check those out during my regular exams. Worrying too much about the normal aging process just gives me more wrinkles. :)

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I just went to the derm yesterday for a suspicious lesion biopsy, probably squamous/basal cell. I did have some of those big freckle things and she burned one of them off saying it was an AK. It is something that precedes the less dangerous skin cancers not melanoma. Your derm should be able to distinguish. We pay the price of overexposure to the sun at some point!

cohanja
    Participant

so it’s ok if the burn something off, even though they obviously cannot do pathology on it? you’re saying they can rule out melanoma by looking, so they know it’s not that, and then burn off in case it’s something less dangerous?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

These are precursers to basal/squamous cell most likely, and very early on! So yes, I trust my derms judgement to burn off these if they look a little suspicious. The only biopsy was for something with more growth and then she may suggest Mohs surgery or not I hope. But we’re talking common skin cancers not melanoma.

Worrywart
    Participant

I get AKs burned off too. Or you can get them lasered off, but that’s cosmetic. I had it done once. All my age spots literally dried up and fell off, it was awesome.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.