• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gillysmom
    Participant

I had a melanoma insitu at age 29, 4 years ago. I also have dysplastic nevi syndrome.

My maternal grandfather had a melanoma (unsure of stage). Just found out my bio father had a squamous cell removed.

What are my chances of getting another form of skin cancer? My children?

Thank you for any input!

cohanja
    Participant

Has your family been tested for the p16 genetic defect for melanoma (CDKN2A)?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Testing for the gene isn’t really necessary. If you have dysplastic nevi, then it is best to get whole body photography to keep track of your moles and look for any changes. This is usually a familial thing but not necessarily genetic. If it changes how you do things, then by all means you can look into the testing but very few centers have the ability to do so. Your family could also have a history of summers at the beach and fair skin, this makes family members more likely to have skin cancer. Hope this is helpful to you,.

gillysmom
    Participant

No, we haven’t been tested. In fact, I don’t have a relationship with my bio father and never have. So we haven’t had any time at the beach together :)

How do I go about finding a place to do whole body photography? My derm has taken a few pics here and there, but doesn’t offer that.

Thank you for replying!

Worrywart
    Participant

I am in the same boat as you. I was first dx at 34 with in situ. My paternal grandfather had two melanomas, but stage I, 10 years apart from each other. He died last year of an unrelated cancer.

gillysmom
    Participant

Thanks worrywort. Just out of curiosity, did you use tanning beds. Unfortunatley, I was young and stupid…and did quite often. Also, what did your insitu look like? Mine looked like a regular mole, not really anything funny about it. When they called me in to talk about my results, I honestly had in mind that it was a different one from a different removal. So scary.

cohanja
    Participant

but there must have been something “not normal” about it for it to be removed, no?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

For a full discussion of whole body photography, go to: http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=34074

It is an excellent plan to keep up with your skin changes without relying on your memory!

Worrywart
    Participant

my freckle didn’t worry the derm either – she was more concerned w/ one on my stomach. It bothered me though, i had an instinct about it.

As for tanning beds, yes, i started going at age 15. stupid! i went every winter 1-2 x a week for years.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.