• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Msdandbaby
    Participant

Where to start. I have always had a lot of moles. I am fairly completed and burn easily. I never new anything about FAMMM until a few months ago (I am 28). I spent a decade in the tanning beds even though I had moles because I figured if I see a black one ill get it removed. Well fast forward. I had 2 moles removed 3 months ago (chose not to biopsy) and just last week had 6 more removed (two in for path which both came back moderate precancer as my derm put it) the others looked like the ones sent to path so I now have to have 6 WLE done. I had a WLE done a few years ago for a moderate precancer. Anyhow I never knew of this FAMMM until now. I know I have it because I have a ton of moles (at least 300+) not necessarily large but darker multicolor etc. I have a 15 month old and the last week has been nothing but me bawling and fearing I will die young and she will be left alone ( father js not involved let alone in the country) I am afraid I have melanoma somewhere and haven’t discovered it (of 20 mole removals only 5 or six biopsied to date) I can’t help but think what if one not sent to path was cancer and I won’t know until I have symptoms from metastasis. My derm said typically if you don’t get all the mole you eventually see pigment again. I just recently fried in HAWAII even after attempting to build a tan prior (I know I know all the wrong things I could do in life I have done) I have had insomnia for weeks now and to make things worse my 15 month old daughter already has two small darker moles. Wait for it…..no insurance. I have no idea what to do or what insurance will cover me (pre existing condition) and I just want to live life without fearing early demise and a lonely daughter :-( I am sorry this is so long but I feel with this FAMMM and all my sunburn history I am doomed. This is bringing me down and causing sever anxiety. Is there anyone out there with my situation. I just want to feel happy again.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Wow, I’m not sure where to start except to advise you to stay out of the sun! You must focus on the present moment and move forward. You know your mistakes so don’t repeat them and take care of yourself better. You shouldn’t spend any energy on the past, because you can’t change that. Do careful self exams and look for changes, and don’t have unnecessary biopsies. see our 2 minute video on the website for self exam. Good luck and take lots of deep breaths. It will calm you down.

cohanja
    Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong, but so far you have not been diagnosed with melanoma, right? So, another reason to take a deep breath. You’re aware, so make sure to get checked as Catherine said.

Msdandbaby
    Participant

I’m mainly nervous that a previous mole I had shaved or punched could have had melanoma and without having the WLE after I am all freaked especially since these last biopsies as new moles all came back as the mod pre cancer. I also have so many new moles I couldn’t tell you which are new and which aren’t. I am afraid I’ll miss something. I also have no idea what to so about getting insurance. Best company / plan. Ill be a dirt poor college student starting this fall and my school doesn’t provide insurance like others. :-(

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Here is the skin exam video, just takes 2 minutes. http://melanomainternational.org/melanoma-facts/examine-your-skin/#.UcsiFvXD-t8

You can apply for medical assistance if you are low income. Your moles may have come back with hyperplasia or dysplastic, doubt they said precancerous. Keep an eye out for any change in a mole.

7spider
    Participant

cohanja wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but so far you have not been diagnosed with melanoma, right? So, another reason to take a deep breath. You’re aware, so make sure to get checked as Catherine said.

Agree 100%. The good thing is you are educating yourself about this stuff. Just learn from the advise that is out there and get your skin check ups.

Msdandbaby
    Participant

Thank you for your advice everyone. My doctor is putting me on Zoloft. With a big move and single motherhood and school starting and now finding out I have this multiple dysplastic nevus syndrome I feel it’s all driving me off the edge. Hopefully it helps me think more positively and actually get sleep at night! I am glad I found this forum because I see how many people actually got melanoma and live normal lives. Puts me somewhat at ease.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Absolutely, we live normal lives, but enriched too, because we know life is precious and the moment is all we have to control. My husband has dysplastic nevi syndrome and he has been photographed which you should ask about, or do your own. Best way to follow these many moles. He has never had melanoma! And he rarely has a biopsy.

Msdandbaby
    Participant

Thank you Catherine! I’ll be doing that! Great to hear about your husband!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.