Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II FDA proposes tougher regulations on tanning beds

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I’m not sure this will help, the tanning industry is huge and wealthy. We all saw what the NRA did to proposed gun legislation. The tanning industry is an 8 billion dollar group with lobbyists who always win out. And there is no one to enforce these regulations and legislation that happens in each state. It takes a grass roots effort and campaign, like the huge one for smoking cessation. That will be the solution. In the meantime, these tanning bed users need to check their skin often for changes! They are likely to have melanoma.

cohanja
    Participant

I suspect it’s a combination, though. I know plenty of people who got sunburns when they were younger just like me, but they don’t have melanoma because they don’t have my high risk skin type. I think if you have high risk skin type (fair skin, burn easily, can’t tan, many nevi, family history, etc..) then your risk from tanning beds or the sun is even greater. This is like everything else – smoking, seat belts, trans fats & sugar, alcohol, etc…. government can try to warn, regulate, legislate, etc. . but ultimately it’s up to each individual to decide what risks they want to take with their own well being.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Nope, not a combination: 15 minutes under a tanning lamp is equal to a whole day on the beach. And studies have found a 75 percent increase in the risk of melanoma in those who have been exposed to UV radiation from indoor tanning, and the risk increases with each use.

Eos99
    Participant

Catherine Poole wrote:

I’m not sure this will help, the tanning industry is huge and wealthy. We all saw what the NRA did to proposed gun legislation. The tanning industry is an 8 billion dollar group with lobbyists who always win out. And there is no one to enforce these regulations and legislation that happens in each state. It takes a grass roots effort and campaign, like the huge one for smoking cessation. That will be the solution. In the meantime, these tanning bed users need to check their skin often for changes! They are likely to have melanoma.

Catherine,

I agree with you that a grass roots campaign may well be the best way to get folks to stop choosing to use tanning beds. However, I believe your post would have been just as powerful without the second sentence.

Thank you,

Eos99

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Not sure what you are saying. I am stating that money controls everything in the U.S. legislature. The NRA, despite the majority of Americans wanting some gun control measures, handily defeated the proposals with their powerful lobby. It is not what the people want at all. This is true with the tanning industry as well. Safety, human life, etc. are secondary to money and power.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Catherine,

People don’t care about their health until something happens. I believe the only reason that fewer people smoke is that it costs more these days. Vanity always takes precedence. A teenager or young adult in college with no real concept of consequences or the future simply doesn’t take skin cancer, lung cancer, liver damage, car accidents, pregnancy, Herpes etc. into consideration when they do dumb stuff. Just part of the human life cycle, I guess. Even adults fall prey to this sort of thing.

Since you brought up guns; I think you give the NRA too much credit. Frankly, I wish gun owners could find new representation. While many Americans, including a lot of gun owners, would like to see tighter regulation in some areas, they also realize that a LOT of legislators and activists would like to ban guns entirely. Once the seal is broken, one piece of legislation will follow another, and in five or ten years, no one is able to own a gun. I don’t need the NRA tell me that. Gun control absolutists have said as much, and so has at least one legislator who was caught in a “47 percent” moment. That scenario has also played out in other countries.

I’m not a gun nut, and I say all this as someone who has no use for semi-auto military style rifles or pistol magazines that hold thirty cartridges. I do not carry, either.

Eos99
    Participant

Catherine,

I think it’s a no brainer that (sadly) monied interests and lobbyists control (most) everything in the U.S. legislature. While I don’t mean to be peevish, I think your point would have been made just as compellingly by leaving out the NRA analogy. I myself and am no fan of, nor apologist for, the NRA. I simply question the appropriateness of proactively bringing up the NRA and proposed gun legislation in the melanoma international forum setting.

You may wish to consider that the NRA and gun-related topics are polarizing for many. I currently live in a part of the country where some children are taught gun safety at a young age, go hunting with their families, participate in 4H shooting events, etc. Picture a young girl shooting clay targets in 4H who notices a mole that is ABCDE-like on her left forearm. Or, visualize a middle-aged man plinking away at a gun range for a charity event taking his shirt off and his wife says, “what’s that on your back”? Think of an elderly man who has loved hunting and shooting quail all his life, spreading a cheese/jalapeno mixture on the shredded pieces of quail, wrapping them in bacon, and grilling the concoction until just so. The old man is chock full of moles and spots that look more like basal or squamous, but his family isn’t certain.

I think respect for fellow current and potential forum members would give me pause before I used the NRA as an example to make a point. I’d hate to think of any segment of people potentially put off or offended by remarks about the NRA. It might be only 2% of the people who visit this fabulous forum. Nonetheless, I’d hate to think they might tune out all the good life-enhancing, lifesaving info here. Someone could be offended.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Yes I can be outspoken at times and certainly don’t mean to offend. But the parallel with the NRA and the ITA (International Tanning Alliance) is so similar. Both have nothing but to gain financially by opposing legislation that protects our young people as well as the rest of the population. Gun use as you point out is so embedded in some of our culture as is tanning. Until that changes, we will not be safe from either of these perils.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The International Tanning Association has a very interesting website: http://www.theita.com/

check out the pro-tanning movement.

cohanja
    Participant

do they also maintain that the sun actually protects you from skin cancer? i’ve heard that sometimes and I don’t get it

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Their website and press releases are fascinating. They say that melanoma isn’t caused by sun exposure but by vitamin D deficiency and you need to get more from the tanning lamps. That it gives you that “safe” base tan for the beach. They have paid doctors to state a lot of things that just aren’t true.

wpatterson4
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/user/EricNJill?feature=watch

This poor guy’s videos should be shown to anyone who considers going to a tanning salon.

Eos99
    Participant

cohanja, I haven’t yet found where they directly say, “the sun actually protects you from skin cancer”. At first blush, they seem to approach it more obliquely. Below are three articles they link to on their website. As Catherine pointed out, they get their message across:

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.theita.com/resource/resmgr/press_releases/aacr_response_-_ltrhd.pdf?hhSearchTerms=protection” class=”bbcode_url”>http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.theita.com/resource/resmgr/press_releases/aacr_response_-_ltrhd.pdf?hhSearchTerms=protection

http://www.dana-farber.org/Newsroom/News-Releases/Guardian-of-the-genome-protein-found-to-underlie-skin-tanning.aspx” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.dana-farber.org/Newsroom/News-Releases/Guardian-of-the-genome-protein-found-to-underlie-skin-tanning.aspx

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/cancer/articles/2011/06/28/vitamin-d-calcium-combo-may-halve-melanoma-risk-in-some-women” class=”bbcode_url”>http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/cancer/articles/2011/06/28/vitamin-d-calcium-combo-may-halve-melanoma-risk-in-some-women

Catherine, I appreciate outspokenness. I also appreciate strategic self-restraint to maximize the chances of accomplishment of a mission – to develop personalized strategies with patients so that they may live longer, better lives.

palteri
    Participant

Catherine-I am concerned that in the position that you represent you seem to have thrown your hands up regarding the Federal/FDA regulatory proposal simply becaue of the financial strength of the ITA. That is a defeatist attitude and not one that I would expect from someone who represents one of the largest melanoma associations. It is certainly not one that I aspire to.

I am very actively involved with a number of other mothers who have lost our children to melanoma and many of them tanned indoors. We ARE the grassroots effort that you refer to. We are the voices of our children and we WILL be heard!!! And we ARE being heard!! We have been very active in the introduction and passage of several bills at the multi-state level that are finally being passed. These bills will serve to protect the children of today and the future. We could not save our own children so we are committed to seeing that other children and parents don’t suffer the same fate of losing their lives and their loved ones to melanoma.

With all due respect, I expect better or you and of MIF. It is NOT all about money, it is about awareness and education and we are committed to both. Please reconsider your words which reflect a lack of committment to support the regulations regarding indoor tanning devices.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.