• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    elly11
    Participant

I wonder if any one can tell me how reliable dermoscopes are?I had a small black mark under my sole,near the heel for about 10 years.I rarely look at it but I have noticed it has gone bigger so I went tothe dermatologist who looked at it with her dermoscope and said “she’d be very surprised if it is benign” of course now I’m terrified! She’s put me in for an excision biopsy on 10thJune and on the meantime I’ve been checking it out on the Internet and now I’m feeling really full of doom and gloom.My mark/mole is now about 9mm brown with different shades.I’d just like to know has anyone else had this kind of lesion or diagnosis from just looking through a dermoscope?I’m really hoping she’s wrong!

goldengirl2011
    Participant

Without first having a biopsy of mole, it would be pure speculation to say whether or not it is benign. A biopsy is the only way to know for sure.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

elly11
    Participant

Thanks for your reply and I’ll let you know my result.

Jenni
    Participant

Welcome to the forum elly11!

Some of my “scariest” looking moles turned out to be nothing and my melanoma (insitu) was symmetrical, one color, etc. Just new and growing.

Don’t stress about it now but get it removed and see what the results are. Many things can look freaky to the naked eye but only the biopsy will tell if it is melanoma or not.

Keep us posted,

Best,

Jenni

Worrywart
    Participant

It is probably just atypical – maybe that is what she meant. Good job keeping an eye on your skin. If you noticed it just recently started growing then odds are it’s nothing (since it has been there forever). Good luck and please let us know your result. Thinking of you!

elly11
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for your replies.You’ve made me feel a bit better, it’s going to take a while after all the things I’ve seen/read while trying to find a slightly more optimistic diagnosis! Do dermatologists often make you feel so bad while waiting for tests/results?

Does anyone know if I’ll be able to walk after an excision biopsy on my foot and are good results usually quicker than bad or vice versa?

Sznn
    Participant

Hi,

Geez, sounds like the same derm I went to, no bedside manner whatsoever. He took one look at my mole and practically shuddered. Then looked at it through the scope and said ” I’ll be really surprised if that is NOT a melanoma” .

I had to wait 2.5 weeks to find out if he was right, unfortunately he was- but fortunately caught early.

I hope yours turns out to be nothing and that your dermatologist learns some compassion.

Is it right at the bottom of your foot? The take a fair bit for the excision, so may need to be off your feet for a bit.

S

elly11
    Participant

I guess they think they should prepare us for the worst but a little bit of hope would be good too wouldn’t it! I was hoping(as I’m sure you were) that your dermatologist was wrong.Glad they caught yours early though.Mine is on the sole of my foot,outside heel bit.Was yours on your foot too?

Sznn
    Participant

No, it was on the back of my upper arm. The excision wasn’t really painful considering how much was removed. I call it my monkey bite, because it looks like someone took a bite out of my arm. Still waiting for the WLE….maybe at the end of this month. Canadian healthcare – fraught with wait lists :(

You will probably not want to walk on that foot for a bit after the excision.

Take care.

elly11
    Participant

What’s WLE?

I’m not looking forward to having a chunk taken out of my foot but if that’s what it takes ………?

7spider
    Participant

The WLE is done if the biopsy comes back positive for melanoma. Depending on the depth ( Breslow ) some say .75mm some say 1mm they may also recommend a SLNB ( sentinel lymph node biopsy ) which is where the remove a lymph or two or four in my case to see if the cancer had spread there. We’re gonna hope it doesn’t come back positive, but thats a general guidline they use if it is. Good luck and welcome to the club.

Sznn
    Participant

Sorry elly11 – bad of me to assume everyone is in the know re: abbreviations.

My advice to you (because I just went through the same process) is stay off the internet…ie. melanoma horror stories. I worked myself into a state reading stories online, but have really calmed down now, feeling much better and very lucky it was caught at a low risk stage.

I sincerely hope your dermatologist is wrong and the excision will be the end of the road for you.

Keep us posted.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

WLE stands for Wide Local Excision, standard therapy after the biopsy comes back with positive melanoma cells. However, much of the time the melanoma cells are gone with the biopsy, especially deep shave or excisional biopsies. Please use our tools on this website to educate yourself. You can feel safe here on MIF, we have THE HonCode certification for valid information and transparency.

7spider
    Participant

Just about all the info. you will need is right here and many people will share their knowledge, concerns and personal advice, so you really don’t have to google a better source than this cause ya got it right here.

elly11
    Participant

Thank you for all your replies and I’ll try to keep off Googling and stay on this site for my sanities sake.Only a few more days to my biopsy and then it’s fingers crossed.I still didn’t really find anything really matching what I have but it’s all under the skin so hard to see exactly what it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.