Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Final Diagnosis of first surgical removal of a melanoma

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    FreckleFace
    Participant

I would like to post the surgeon’s final diagnosis prepared on 12/27/13 re the melanoma that was surgically removed. I don’t know what stage this would be considered. I would like to know what it means in layman terms:

(Melanoma, left shoulder; transverse resection): Residual malignant melanoma (in situ). inked margins of excision are free of involvement. Ulcer and granulation consistent with previous biopsy site. One left axilla sentinel lymph node negative for metastatic melanoma.

Gross Description: specimen is an 8x2x5 cm ellipse of skin excised to a depth of 0.4 cm. surface of skin shows a 0.7 x 0.5 cm ulcer. There’s also a papule 0.5×0.5 cm.

I see the Dermotologist Tuesday morning- first time since diagnosis. I am nervous. Wish me luck!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

All sounds like good news to me! You have no nodal involvement and the residual melanoma was insitu (in place not spreading) Take a deep breath and I’m sure the doc will agree you have a great prognosis.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.