Home Forums For Caregivers Only Final gifts by Maggie Callahan and Patricia Kelley

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    msue5
    Participant

Came across this book in the Library and think it could help many caregivers especially who those who are dealing with a terminal patient. During Nursing School I had the opportunity to see Elizabeth Kubler Ross speak. She was instrumental in making death something that needed to be talked about rather than being swept under the rug. She was also the genius of the 5 stages of grief. I dealt with many dying patients in my career. We knew many of the patients well. They were dialysis patients who were frequently in the hospital and I like to believe we helped many of them not feel so alone at their time of need.

Mary Sue

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Mary Sue,

Thank you for this. I am also a fan of Kubler-Ross she was an amazing person. Of course you are pretty amazing too! Hope all is well with you.

abdorma
    Participant

Just to add my two cents on this one: a friend gave me the book Final Gifts when my husband decided to quit pursuing treatment for melanoma and to go into Hospice care. Another friend gave me Final Journey which is by the same women and I highly recommend both of them. Final Journey is really more practical and discusses more in depth the physical changes that occur when someone is dying. Final Gifts is more about the emotional aspects of dying. Both helped me tremendously to understand what I could do to make this dying process easier on us and our families. The night before Tom died when he was very agitated and doing much of what had been described in these books, I was reading a few specific chapters to calm myself down that this was very normal behavior.

I have given my copies to friends caring for dying parents and they too found them very helpful. Final Gifts is a great gift to those who are helping a loved one in the last stages of life!

ann

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘For Caregivers Only’ is closed to new topics and replies.