Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Finances/Insurance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    odonoghue80
    Participant

Hi all, I’m curious if anyone has some good info on how to go about getting the best health insurance and financial planning for melanoma patients. Last year I was let go from my company so I’m currently on cobra (they were great to me over the years and especially since diagnosis and recent years). However cobra will run out at the end of this year. I’ve had excellent coverage but I fear I’ll lose this, and especially extent of coverage. Another fear is if I move over to Medicare that my expenses would increase dramatically (I’m stage 4 and also have some disability from brain surgery so I think medicare is a viable option). For example, if I’m on Medicare and an 80/20 plan, and next years bills are 200k, will I be responsible of 40k? I don’t want to burn my savings just to pay bills. I want to preserve my assets in the best possible way I can.

Just turned 35, single, and don’t own my home. I’m a little nervous about exposing myself in the future. Any insight with medical insurance and financial planning?

Thanks,

Shane

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Hi Shane,

Good to hear from you. I am not expert in this field, but I would try this organization:

Patient Advocate Foundation

1-800-532-5274 (Mon.-Thurs., 8am-8pm; Fri., 8:30am-7pm EST)

http://www.patientadvocate.org

Provides education and legal counseling to cancer patients (relative to a diagnosis) concerning managed care, discrimination, insurance and financial issues.

Let me know if they are helpful!

odonoghue80
    Participant

Thanks Catherine. I’ll check with this site.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Let me know if they are helpful or not. I will base my further recommendations on your experience.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.