Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV first infusion of Ipi yesterday

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cheris
    Participant

Thank you everyone for your input on Ipi. I was astounded at how well I felt after the first infusion. I probably would have done this sooner if my doctor had provided more information on what to expect and why I should take it. He did this after my scans yesterday, so I felt more comfortable proceeding. I had this comparison in my mind to interferon, which I had taken 4 years ago, and which I will never forget those side effects. I had lunch with a long time friend the day before Ipi, and she was telling me about a work friend of hers that was diagnosed with stage IV 4 years ago and is still going strong. Those stories are so uplifting.

Cheris

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Happy to hear it went well. The effects are usually cumulative but hopefully they will be minimal for you. Many folks have little issues, some have some. Just keep on top of anything that you feel might be a side effect and let your doctor know. This drug is NOTHING like interferon!!

Annieo
    Participant

Hi Cheris,

Well done for getting through your first round of Ipi.

Best wishes for the weeks ahead. Keep the chin up :)

Anne

Lesli
    Participant

Hi All,

I will be getting my first infusion of Ipi tomorrow, after a 9 month run on Zelboraf/Mekinist. While looking for any suggestions for an Ipi friendly diet, I found this article for the first time and which I don’t believe I have seen posted on this forum.

http://eccamsterdam2013.ecco-org.eu/Global/News/ECC-2013-Press-Releases-EN/2013/09/Longest-follow-up-of-largest-number-of-melanoma-patients.aspx

With all the excitement about PD-1, Ipi seems a bit like “yesterday’s news,” but my oncologist insists that the data on durability are promising to those in the field.

Leslie

JBunyan
    Participant

I finished my 4 doses of ipi in January 2014. Now in total remission. Only side effects were a bit of itching on lower legs and onset of (tolerable) arthritis in shoulders and leg joints. Small price to pay for remission ( given 6 months last Oct – now – Who Knows) so good luck with your ipi treatment – far less of a hassle than conventional chemo.

cheris
    Participant

I also asked my doctor for a prescription for Compazine (for nausea). Even though they insisted this was not a common side effect, I have stomach problems so I wasn’t taking any chances. Yesterday, I ate something that made me feel queasy and I took one, and it helped.

As far as the statistics on Ipi, my onc provided some interesting information. He said the data didn’t include tumors in the intestine because the numbers were too large.

Cheris

Annieo
    Participant

Hi Lesli,

I hope you are doing ok after your first infusion of Ipi yesterday. I just wanted to let you know that I read your message and wish you luck with it :)

Anne

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.