Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Flu and Yervoy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rochelle
    Participant

So, because I am on a maintenance dose of Yervoy…I could not get a flu shot…oh yeah…you can guess the rest. I have been down with the flu since Thursday and have not been this sick since I was a child. Just wanted to throw that out there to people who are currently receiving treatment…the flu is almost impossible to avoid..but I think in the future, during an epidemic..I may take stricter measures to avoid the general public. I never want to feel this badly again :(

Martha

lak1
    Participant

Martha can I ask what maintenance therapy consists of what dose mg/kg and how often. How long has this gone on for are you disease free? How bad were your toxicities?

Lesley

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Hope you feel better soon Martha! I have met more folks who HAD the flu shot but still got the flu this year, so they chose the wrong strain to innoculate for. Also, there is a stomach flu going around that is different from the real flu. But there is a large number of folks down with it. Be sure to rest a lot as it can turn into pneumonia. I hope it passes soon and you should probably check in with your doctor.

rochelle
    Participant

Lesley,

My last dose of ipi was July of 2011 with five rounds of high dose radiation. I have not had any new lesions since and I have had diminishment in existing lesions.I have never been NED, but pretty stable for the past four years. My melanoma have all been sub-q’s. From July 2011 until now…I have had what’s called ipi flares…a lesion will get red, swollen and painful and within a week’s time, the lesion will disappear. So we knew I was still responding. When my oncologist suggested another round this past fall (which was delayed due to Hurricane Sandy, NYU was decimated and some areas are still closed) I was skeptical…but after much discussion we moved forward with another five doses of radiation and the usual 4 doses 3mg/1kg and after the first round I did end up with pseudo hepatitis. I have been on dexamethasone for the past month and when I returned last Wednesday for round two all liver functions were back to normal. So it may take a little extra time to get all four doses in (which would be my preference) and then I will be scanned sometime early spring. Works for me as I am a nontradtional college student…which translates into I am older student :), but I was pursuing my education when I was diagnosed back in ’09 so I am very focused on walking across that stage on May 30th and finally getting my two year degree.

Martha

rochelle
    Participant

Catherine,

I am feeling better, my team at NYU were very quick to respond with Tamiflu and some “kick butt” cough syrup. I agree about the possibility of pneumonia…when I cough, I feel like my trachea is about to explode (not good considering I have been working a lot playing out). I actually thought I might have pertussis because of the wheezing. Wa…wa…wa…:)

I guess the logic of no flu shot with ipi is because of the possibility of overstimulating the immune system…but next year I will really be more careful about public exposure whenever possible. My husband and I were in the ER last Friday night because of a family member…guess that’s not the best place to be during flu season.

I am on the upswing though..a couple more days and I should be as good as new :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.