Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III FNA without melanoma markers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    swissie
    Participant

Hello all,

I’ve been very quite, as all is well! I’ve been NED for more than 3.5 years now (stage IIIB, which is a great feeling).

However, I do have a swollen lymph node in my right groin (orginal melanoma on left knee, 3 mets in left groin) for more than half a year now. It has been tested in November (just reactive lymph node), and I had it tested last week again. Again the result is that it’s a reactive lymph node.

The only thing is that it has not been tested for any melanoma Markers.

As there were no cells suspicious for melanoma found in the lymph node, they did not test for melanoma. They did test for Non-Hodgkin as the lymph node exists of almost only lymphocytic cells.

Personally, I find it quite strange if you ask for a FNA and no markers are checked.

Can someone explain please?

Thanks,

Sabine

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Wonderful news about your good health. I hate for this to go unanswered but I don’t know the answer. Would seem that the fine need aspiration would show melanoma cells if that was causing the swelling. If you are not confident in the current approach, can you get another opinion? I don’t know of other markers..

Linny
    Participant

I don’t know if this helps, but when I had my FNA done, the results showed abnormal cells. The results didn’t state what kind of abnormal cells — just that they were “abnormal”. Based on that, if there had been abnormal cells found during your FNA, then further testing would have been warrranted.

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Sabine,

So happy to hear you are doing well. When I had my FNA done on the node in my groin after I was first diagnosed, it confirmed melanoma. As Linny mentioned since no abnormal cells have been found it probably does not warrant anything further.

My daughter has had nodes swollen everywhere (neck, groin, under arms) for about 1 1/2 yrs now. They have done every test imaginable. Have also removed a node with no answers. She does have fibromyalgia and problems with her spine but we have been in limbo and they have found no answers to the swollen nodes.

Wishing you continued success with your NED status. I will hit my 7 yr mark inJuly. 3 1/2 yrs since my last recur. Lymphedema continues to be my worst problem.

Shirley Z

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.