Home Forums Newly Diagnosed Stage III/IV Four-year survival rates for ipilimumab

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steven
    Participant

According to this study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23666915) 10mg has higher survival rates than 3mg. Does anyone know if studies are ongoing regarding best dosage?

Does the FDA ever change a dosage once approved?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

There is more to come on this. It is only phase II results. Look to the combination trial, phase III just accruing.

Kpage
    Participant

Hi there!

My mother was just diagnosed with this cancer a couple months ago and I am looking for all the answers and best treatment possible. What can any of you tell me. She had her sinus surgery and they removed the cancer they could see and now starts radiation next week. She is in Pittsburgh PA…

Do you recommend taking her to another city?

She has some of the best docs around I here.

Just any advice, suggestions, opinions, anything to help my family understand and cope would be great!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Is she at UPMC? They should have the latest treatments. Otherwise, a second opinion is always a good thing. Have you thought of Sloan Kettering in NY or possibly UPENN in Philly? Are they considering some type of systemic treatment?

Kpage
    Participant

Hi Catherine!

Thanks for responding…

She is seeing docs from UPMC…

We found out the Tumor is grade 4 but the stage of cancer not sure yet. It has spread to fatty tissue but no organs.

We are doing immunotherapy after radiation…

This cancer is just mind boggling and so rare. We haven’t been given a prognosis… Is this normal?

Any therapy you suggest or heard that works better for sinus cancer …?

Thanks so much!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Are they calling it Mucosal Melanoma? Then it would be Braf negative and immunotherapy such as Yervoy or PD1 would be best to try. Keep asking questions. What type of immunotherapy are they suggesting?

flvermonter
    Participant

Hi, I am new, and my husband is stageiiic melanoma and stage 1 non small cell lung cancer. We meet with the 2 different oncologists next week. Any thought or trials that I should be asking about that may treat both cancers? He is going to Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. They removed all lymphnodes on the right side 10 days ago and he had alot of disease. He is BRAF negative. That is all i have to date. Thanks for any suggestions/experience/guidance.

Regards, Mary

Linny
    Participant

You may want to see if he can qualify for a MAGE vaccine trial. Currently this vaccine is being tested for both melanoma and non-small cell lung cancer. The main catch is that the cancer cells have to test positive for MAGE.

I know they’re doing a Phase III trial for it for melanoma because I’m in that trial. However, they no longer are accepting participants for it. Don’t know anything about the status of the lung cancer study, which is called MAGRIT. The melanoma study is called DERMA.

This is something you may want to ask your oncologist about. The folks at Moffitt should definitely know about these particular trials. This vaccine is being tested in other trials for melanoma and not just the one that I’m in.

flvermonter
    Participant

Thanks for the information for the MAGE trial. We meet with the lung Onc on Wed next week and the melanoma Onc the following week at Moffitt. Will bring my notes

Linny
    Participant

Don’t click those links, that’s a spam message.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Thanks Linny, thought I had caught them all, please let me know when you see spam. I will delete and ban right away

Ivelina
    Participant

Kpage wrote:

Hi there!

My mother was just diagnosed with this cancer a couple months ago and I am looking for all the answers and best treatment possible. What can any of you tell me. She had her sinus surgery and they removed the cancer they could see and now starts radiation next week. She is in Pittsburgh PA…

Do you recommend taking her to another city?

She has some of the best docs around I here.

Just any advice, suggestions, opinions, anything to help my family understand and cope would be great!

Hi, Kpage!

I`ve been in the same situation, faced with the same diagnosis given to a member of my family.

The cases of mucosal melanoma are more rare and unfortunately more complicated as it concerns to taking decisions for the right therapy and the right way to go.

However, from experience with the case of my family member, I would say that you should rather try the immunotherapy such as Yervoy or PD1. As for the radiation, if well tolerated by the physique of your mother, could be a good therapy combination too.

However, each case is particular and you should also consult the docs.

Never give up and keep on fighting! I keep my fingers crossed for you and your mother!

Regards,

Ivelina

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Newly Diagnosed Stage III/IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.