Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Frequent lurker, now posting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Broncogirl
    Participant

Hello,

I am a newbie, but not really. I had my FIRST melanoma in-situ diagnosis 5 years ago and I have been lurking here ever since. I just recently had my second diagnosis of in-situ and WLE in October. I know I am so fortunate but just when I thought I had the emotional rollercoaster under control, I’m back on the ride. This last site did not have any of the typical ABCs of melanoma but since I was paranoid, my doctor removed it and we were both surprised that it was melanoma. When you know what you’re looking for, it seems like you have some control. When you don’t it’s very scary! I go in every 3 months and I’m to the point where if we’re just going to “watch” it, just remove it. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a way to find dermatologists who specialize in Melanoma and/or if that is important? I live in Boise, Idaho.

Thank you!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Welcome! I think whole body photography is the best way to follow your skin. Then you and your doctor have something to compare with and don’t depend on your memory. So far you’ve done an excellent job! But see if that is provided and I think if your doc is a good partner with you then you are in good hands. Don’t really know any experts in Boise. Perhaps someone else does. You can look on aad.org for their list in your area and check out the background of the doc.

Profgal43
    Participant

Hey there, it sounds like you are doing everything right. I went four years melanoma free and now I have had three wide excised in 6 months, two this week.The uncertainty of the disease does make it nerve wracking. I hope this is your last go round with the beast! Take care, Karen

SleepyKitty
    Participant

I like the suggestiontion of using that website to find a dr who specializes in melanoma. I’m still struggling trying to relax but having a dermatologist that I trust check my skin ever three months has been a major source of relief.

If you can’t switch I would ask for a longer appointment slot next time so that there is enough time to discuss your concerns with them. Try asking for them to give you a more detailed explanation of why one thing is “watch and wait” and another is “biopsy”. It is a double edged sword though. Having that level of detail made ignoring the spot on my leg easier now. But it made waiting for the results of what he did biopsy very stressful. But for me, I think the wait would have been excruciating without know why he did what he did in detail.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.