Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Getting very concerned after Dr’s appt!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Worrywart
    Participant

Hi! I haven’t been on here in a while, busy with school starting and have had terrible headaches. I’ve been lifting weights for past 3 months. The past week and a half I’ve had a severe one sided throbbing headache as soon as I start lifting. I was hoping it would go away on its own but it’s just gotten worse. I’ve never had headaches before in my life unless I had a fever or virus. I tried chiropractor first and had adjustment – didn’t help – so today I went to Dr hoping to get meds for exertion headache. I told her my symptoms and she said – just so you know, exertion headaches are VERY worrisome, and with your history of melanoma we need to make sure it isn’t metastatic disease so we will schedule an MRI for next week. She said melanoma LOVES the brain. I said to the PCP —-I had in situ, so isn’t it highly unlikely that its related? She said – unlikely but not impossible, I’ve seen it happen. Now I’m getting worried! And I’m a little pissed at her comments too. Has anyone on here had exertion headaches? They are severe one sided headache in one part of my head when I lift or do leg press, etc.

Jenni
    Participant

First off, I don’t like this PCP, she should not start out by worrying you! :) Secondly, I haven’t had headaches like this but from what I know about them they are not always worrisome. It could be a switch in diet, dehydration or many things. Don’t let it worry you!

I have shooting pains sometimes in certain spots of my head and it comes and goes. Some weeks are bad and then weeks will go by without them.

Let us know how the test turns out. BUT really, I don’t think you have anything related to melanoma, she doesn’t know her facts!

Jenni

cohanja
    Participant

What are exertion headaches and how are they different/feel different from regular headaches?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Your PCP needs to be educated, and you, need a new PCP. I have heard this time and again and it happened to me when a doc said my swollen tonsils could be metastatic melanoma. Melanoma goes to the brain when you have stage IV disease!! It doesn’t start out there. And there is absolutely so little of a chance that is what is going on with you I am floored. Please go see a competent doctor. Headaches can be caused by stress, allergies, you name it! Let us know what you find out.

Worrywart
    Participant

Thanks everyone! I was so shocked she said it, that I didn’t speak up and give her a little educating. After my MRI next week I’m going to. I usually see an internal med dr at same practice that is laid back/not an alarmist, but this lady seemed like she wanted me to think I was dying. She even said she consulted with 2 radiologists to determine what kind of imaging to do b/c of my ‘history’. When I went in, I was worried about aneurysm or something, brain tumor never even crossed my mind but I know they always have to rule these things out. She should not have tried to scare me though. I’m wondering if she just has no idea about survival stats/details of melanoma?? She even laughed as she said “Melanoma LOVES the brain”. What an insensitive B!

Cohanja – an exertion headache happens when you are really pushing yourself – like lifting a lot and can barely finish reps, etc. For me it happened during Leg Press Machine and has hung around ever since. I also have a stiff neck which I guess is another ‘warning’ sign. But I do have degenerative disk disease in my cervical spine so I assumed that was why I had stiff neck. Anyway, I’ll keep you posted and let you know what this Dr says when I call and give her “an educating”.

cohanja
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be normal to get a headache when really pushing yourself?

Worrywart
    Participant

Well, I’ve been really pushing myself (physically with running, cycling,etc) since I was 11 years old and I have gotten the occasional headache, but I’m new to weightlifting and new to this particular type of headache pain – I do know that I tense my head/neck when i do it, so I’m hoping it’s just poor form.

Worrywart
    Participant

NO brain tumors or masses! yay! I did have some spots in white matter though, so possible neuro consult.

cohanja
    Participant

What does that mean/signify…spots in white matter?

Worrywart
    Participant

Spots on white matter can indicate you’ve had a stroke in past, have MS, or other vessel type diseases.

The PCP called and said the report was normal. I have a friend who is a neurologist so I sent him the report and he said nothing to worry about! He does want me to send him the actual CD though to take closer look. Perks of having friends in medical field! It takes months to get in to see a neurologist in my city!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Happy to hear all is well. Maybe those spots are from worrying too much!! Now go out and get yourself a new PCP!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.