Home Forums For Caregivers Only Good news

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jmmm
    Participant

I had to share…3 years ago today, my husband was admitted to the hospital for an extremely low blood count. Over the course of the next 2 weeks, he went through many tests, had a small bowel resection and was eventually diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic melanoma. His doctor gave a prognosis of 6-9 months. Over the next 12 months, he endured a thoracotomy, 4 doses of Ipi, Zelboraf, a craniotomy, and gamma knife. About 18 months after his original diagnosis, he had a PETscan that showed NED. He remains that way, as of scans last week (yes, it’s been 3 years!). He has been on zelboraf for 28 months. It’s not been easy…he now has permanent kidney damage, mild brain damage (he struggles with some cognitive skills), a seizure disorder, scars all over, and is exhausted much of the time, BUT, he is alive and we can continue making memories with our 3 boys. What I’m trying to say is to not give up…there is hope and people do live with stage 4 melanoma.

dkmc
    Participant

Sounds wonderful. I love a good news story! Enjoy everyday.

Karen

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I agree, your strength is commendable. And to look to the bright side when much has been bleak. All of you here are always a reminder to me that there are those facing adversity with such courage and resilience!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘For Caregivers Only’ is closed to new topics and replies.