Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III Great article on learning to live with Lymphedema

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Linny
    Participant
    msue5
    Participant

Linny

My lymphedema spontaneously disappeard sometime during the winter. I though well wait till the heat and see what happens when it’s hot and humid but have had just had minor swelling. I used the pump for my treatment and have not used it at all lately. I had moderate to severe lymphedema after just SLNB which got worse after CLND. Strange but welcome development!

I’m sorry for the people who have to deal with severe symptoms.

Mary Sue

Linny
    Participant

Hi Mary Sue!

Glad to hear you’re doing well. That’s amazing that your lymphedema just spontaneously went away. Hope it stays far, far away!

Your post shows that there is hope. :D

Speaking of hope — here’s a video of a woman who had a lymph node transfer done to alleviate her lymphedema:

http://lymphnodetransplant.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/treating-lymphedema-of-the-arm-with-surgery-video/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://lymphnodetransplant.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/treating-lymphedema-of-the-arm-with-surgery-video/

I’ve heard that the surgery has mixed results. Perhaps it’s related to whatever technique was used? Who knows! Apparently this woman’s was a success.

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Linny,

Both great articles. I was really amazed by the second one. She seems to have had great success with the surgery. I was really surprised that a surgery like that could be done. I know sometimes just removing a few nodes can cause swelling. I’m curious if she has any swelling in the area where the nodes were transferred from.

I was expecting a horrible week with the temps in the 90’s. I have been super careful. Staying in the air conditioning, taking breaks really often to elevate my arm and leg. So far not too awfully bad.

Hope you are having a good summer. Its flying by quickly.

Shirley Z

Linny
    Participant

Hi Shirley,

The summer sure is flying by quickly. I can’t believe it’s mid-July already!

The heat and humidity have been pretty bad here the past few days. I’ve been wearing my sleeve to ward off any unwanted swelling and have been trying to stay out of the heat. I had my annual checkup with the therapist and my arm measurements have remained about the same, on average. So far, so good. I don’t want to take any chances, especially given how spontaneously the lymphedema came on for the women mentioned in the first link. It was pretty shocking to read that. 😮

But that surgery is pretty interesting, isn’t it? I, too, would like to know if she experienced any swelling in the area from where they removed the nodes for the transfer.

Shirley Z
    Participant

Linny,

I actually printed the first article. I refuse to sit outside at night

because of mosquitoes. Sometimes people think I am

overly cautious with things. All it takes is an infected mosquito

bite on a bad arm or leg to really cause problems.

Now I have this article to prove what I was telling them

all along. People can really be ignorant at times.

I guess before all this came into my life I was guilty

of some of the same. You just never know until

you are in that situation yourself.

Stay cool! We have another couple days before we get some

relief.

Shirley Z

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.