Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II happy endings regarding melanoma and pregnancy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    simbita
    Participant

Hi to you all,

I was diagnosed with a stage 1b (1.1breslow, clear SLN) MM almost a year ago. Now I’m about to get married and I started thinking about having children in a near future (I’m 32… by the way). Like many of you, I’ve been reading a lot regarding melanoma and pregnancy and in conclusion I think that there’s no relation between one thing and the other but it’s sensible to wait for another year before starting a family.

However, and even if I’ve read some positive things in this forum, I’m feeling a bit down lately about the topic (you know about the constant ups and downs of this bastard disease) and I would like to read about your experiences of being mums after a MM diagnosis, particularly at stage 1b.

I know many of you have already write about this, but I really need a bit of cheering up!! Thanks in advance.

Jenni
    Participant

Hi Simbita,

I am not a Stage 1b, but I had one melanoma in situ in Dec 2009 ( I was 29 at time of diagnosis) and I got pregnant with my first in Feb 2010, a few months later. During the pregnancy I had quite a few moles change but I had them removed. They all were some level of atypia BUT no more melanoma (one was treated as a developing in situ so I had a WLE but otherwise the others were just normal biopsies).

I will be 5 yrs out this Dec and I now have 3 children. My daughter (first) is 3.5 yrs old and my twin boys are now 9 months old. During the second pregnancy I had moles change too and I removed them….nothing was melanoma.

I researched A TON on the subject and in the end I decided I wouldn’t be happy with my life without a few kids. Skin does change and do strange things in pregnancy, so a close relationship with a derm is great anyways. I had some wonderful skin tags as well! It was the best decision I made to go forward. Just make sure your doctor keeps a close eye on your skin and do whatever else they suggest for followup.

You can do this :) Stay strong!

Jenni

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.