Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II high risk clinical factors?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1493625/pdf/annsurg00186-0044.pdf

Should patients with both clinical risk factors (men and axial) ask for adjuvant specific active immunotherapy? I feel like as a male with an axial lesion, this is the high-risk group that may expect a 10-20% risk of metastasis at 5 years, but no type of immunotherapy is offered to us. We’re just rolling the dice and hoping, playing melanoma roulette. 10-20% is a lot higher than the <5% doctors tell us.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Dude,

That link locked my computer up for a minute or two. I almost had to reboot after clicking on it. You might want to link to that one from another source. Was this thing pre-2009 staging?

I understand your anxiety, but then again I don’t. You had a sentinel node biopsy, which puts you in an entirely different space. While it didn’t confirm, 100%, that you’re part of the 80 percent that won’t have a problem in five years, you have a better prognosis than someone with a similar melanoma who didn’t undergo the procedure. HIS future would be a little less certain, to say the least.

So there are two things you have in your favor: more accurate staging and a good result from a sentinel node biopsy.

I wouldn’t even consider adjuvant therapy, if I were you. I would be busy watching my skin and getting on with my life.

My situation is a lot more frightening. I have not gone further in determining my stage. I could have a little tumor growing in my right armpit as I type this. I’m only two years and two months away from my diagnosis. Unlike your lesion, mine was extensively regressed, too. According to some sources, my chances of being alive in ten years are about the same as my chances of accurately predicting “tails” when a coin is tossed. Some times (frequently), I get it in my head that my fate is sealed.

Be thankful – you won’t die from this.

cohanja
    Participant

sorry about the link locking up. . for me it just opens a pdf right away

wpatterson4
    Participant

I found that article on another part of the same website. What do you know? Another negative article about extensive regression. Guess it didn’t say anything I don’t already know.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Quote:

10-20% is a lot higher than the <5% doctors tell us.

But much more believable, isn’t it? I’ve always known it was higher than that for a lot of us. If your situation includes about 3 risk factors, you’re approaching stage 2 probabilities. Fortunately for you, that’s not the case.

Remember the over-diagnosis craze of a few years ago? Looks like thin melanoma isn’t just a myth resulting from “diagnostic drift.”

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Stick with the most important prognostic indicator: Breslow Level. A .3 Cohanja is a homerun for no recurrence. Enjoy it!

cohanja
    Participant

I certainly hope so, but with this disease it seems like there are no sure homeruns.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I hate to jinx myself but I’m alive and well 24 years after a .76 melanoma that had mitotis and regression and vertical growth phase. So if that’s not a homerun, I’m not sure what is. And I’m not alone by any means, remember that old post you brought forward with folks being 30years out?

erectz
    Participant

I can’t see the link you provided is working?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.