Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II How long after SLNB still feel "weird?"

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

I had my SLNB a year ago – under left arm, 2 nodes. It still feels “weird” sometimes in that area – not like great pain, but like sometimes dull pain or just weirdness (hard to explain). Is that normal for how long after the procedure?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

When you mess around with lymph nodes, it can take a while for them to adjust. A nerve may have been cut as well. If you are truly concerned though, you should have it checked by your doctor.

cohanja
    Participant

I’m at the Dr so often for skin checks and stuff and they usually feel my nodes and never seem to feel anything. I always say it feels weird but then they check and don’t feel anything. They’ve never done ultrasound/sonography of my nodes, though. Should I be asking for that?

CathySoCal
    Participant

Yes, “weird” is the only way to describe that feeling! I had two nodes removed from under my right arm about 18 months ago, and still have to look in the mirror to put on deodorant because of residual numbness and that weird feeling. Shaving there is always hit and miss! 😆 The surgeon did tell me he had to cut a couple of small nerves to get to the right lymph node, so it’s obviously nerve damage. It’s not as bad as it was for the first year or so, and maybe it will eventually go away completely, maybe not.

I do know better than to try to examine the nodes under that arm, exactly because of that weird feeling. Why try to determine whether anything has changed when the sensation isn’t all there? Especially since I know that poking around can make those nodes swell. I just leave it to my docs, who are very understanding and give me a thorough check whenever I’m in.

Hope that helps…

Cathy

7spider
    Participant

I think I have the same weird feeling you have, it’s only been 4 months for me though. The upper backside of my right arm is still kinda numb, and sometimes I get some brief sharp pain in the area. The Dr said it may take a while for the damaged nerves to heal, and it’s possible it may never be the way it was. I’ve been trying to do exercise w/ light weights to strengthen the area and keep the blood flowing and I think it’s helping a lil.

Jenni
    Participant

I haven’t had any nodes removed, but I have had a fair share of surgeries over the past 2 years. Aside from the 12+ biopsies of moles, I had two WLE over 2 yrs ago, BOTH of these still have moments when they feel weird or stiff for me. It seems to correlate with the changing weather :) AND I have had a c section and a disc surgery (back) in the past two years as well. The c section is the most “reactive” scar I have. I still get shooting pains off and on, numbness, tingle sensations, burning pain even. Nothing unbearable so I just deal :) I think what you are feeling is normal, especially since nodes are in such sensitive places.

Jenni

cohanja
    Participant

When the Docs feel under arms for lymph nodes, trying to feel if any are enlarged, etc.. can they still feel even a really deep one?

cohanja
    Participant

Jenni – we’re all too young to have gone through this kind of stuff! The majority of people who haven’t had any procedures don’t know how lucky they are, they take it for granted (like I probably did prior to all of this). My wife actually had a C-section too, but about 20 weeks prior to that she had a trans-abdominal cerclage put in which was even worse than the C-section (bigger incision). The C-section was pretty much right over the same place the cerclage was done. I think for her, it’s mostly just numb.

Jenni
    Participant

Wow, that is a lot of lower stomach/uterus mess for your wife, I feel her pain and her numbness :) It is so strange to not completely feel your low tummy!

And yes, I now know how “good” I had it. 2.5 yrs ago I had NEVER had a stitch, not one! AND now, today, I think I have had over 100 (if you include staples and the internal stitching)! WOW, I would have never thought that at 32 this would be my “medical past”. HOWEVER, again, all I can do is move forward and hope this was a bad few years and the next many years are better!

We are working baby # 2 and PRAYING that it doesn’t irritate my back too much (my herniated disc was caused by pregnancy and it is better now after surgery, BUT not 100% at all).

Best to you and your wife. Give those kiddos big hugs today :)

Jenni

Icegurl470
    Participant

My SLNB site under my right arm pit still feels weird too. My doc told me there would be residual numbness for a year, maybe even the rest of my life. It’s been about 5 months and the incision is completely healed, but when I get really sweaty, like when I work out and stuff, the incision starts to hurt. The scar also looks more red then my WLE scar.. And it’s a pain to shave!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.