• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Onlymej
    Participant

I was recently dianosed with lentigo maligna, in situ through a deep shave biopsy. Yesterday I had a WLE with 1 cm margins.

How much risk is there I am going to be dealing with something invasive now that the WLE is done and is being examined?

I asked the surgeon and she said she thought he diagnosis would stay the same, but I am so scared that that in situ 100% cure rate is going to go down and I am going to be dealing with something even scarier. I know most people with thin melanomas do very well, its juts I have myself mentally coping with this in situ diagnosis right now…….

The diagnosis on the report was Atypical Lentiginous Melancytic Proliferation, Lentigo Maligna (in-situ).

(I have not seen my pathology report in full, only the diagnosis at the bottom. I dont know if I can mentally handle reading the whole thing – right now. I will in the future as I plan to tke everything to Univ of Penna for a double check.

I guess my question is, how accurate are deep shave biopsies for melanoma in situ? I thought I read they used to frown on these being done, but now are saying they are like 97% accurate…….

Please tell me your WLE showed only that the atypical cells were gone and did not give you a different stage or situation.

Worrywart
    Participant

I had lateral margins involved as well. Odds are great that yours is still in situ. They usually take the darkest/worse looking part of the lesion. Unless the lesion was extremely large, I’m sure they got it all in shave. Even if it did extend to margins your WLE might not show any residual melanoma cells. I had my WLE results read twice as well as the initial biopsy results. One came back no residual melanoma seen. The other came back that there were a few melanoma cells (still in situ) but still had adequate margins. The waiting is the hardest part, hang in there!

Onlymej
    Participant

Thank you worrywart . That is what the surgeon said as well. She said the lesion was small and it was probably already gone, and that only if they partly removed it because it was large does she normally see stages change. But I am scared and not doing so well right now.

Onlymej
    Participant

Update, the dermatology surgical center called me on the 4th of July! The dr called and said I knew you were worried so I so your report come through and I wanted to let you know. Everything came back totally clear. Technically there was no way for you to even find this any earlier than you did. Good catch. This spot, gone forever, nothing to even worry about anymore! Wow I feel a lot better!

Worrywart
    Participant

Yay! that is great news! And I LOVE Dr’s who care about the patient’s feelings and concerns. Just watch your skin for anything new or changing, and check scar for any pigment regrowth. But don’t immediately freak if you have pigment regrowth around scar, that can be normal for many people (i had it) but is almost always just hypermelanosis. Still always good to have any pigment regrowth checked by derm.

Best wishes!

Onlymej
    Participant

Worrywart, okay thanks for the warning. Also of course I will forever be more conscious of the sun and will have regular skin checks. This has been a tough few weeks but I believe things are gonna be okay, but of course, I will never forget it. It’s gonna take awhile…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.