Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II How Will I Know if I Have a "Good" Dermatologist?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Icegurl470
    Participant

23 yr old female stage 1B: I had WLE and Axillary SLNB a few wks ago and I’m happy to announce all my test results came back clear. My surgeon recommended a full evaluation by a qualified dermatologist and routine follow-ups every 3 months for 5 yrs and then every 6 months indefinitely, for signs re-occurrence. After my diagnosis, I decided not to take any chances and got a second opinion and all my treatment from a cancer institute quite a long ways away from where I live. He suggested I be seen by one of their dermatologists but I don’t think I could make the trek quite that often. He told me just to make sure the dermatologist I see up here is a “good” one and one whom I’m VERY comfortable with, which made me think it may be a horrifically mortifying experience.. My question is, what will it be like? There literally isn’t any qualified female dermos at all the places I’ve called in the area and I’m very modest, so I want to be mentally prepared.. Also, how will I know if I’m being seen by a good one? Thanks!

cohanja
    Participant

You can start here: http://www.aad.org/find-a-derm/

Worrywart
    Participant

I’ve seen ones that are so thorough they check my butt crack…and others that say to have your gyn check that area. Oftentimes derms have female PAs – so maybe look for a derm that has a female PA and she can do your check if you’re more comfortable with that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.