Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II I thought thinner is better?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Camille
    Participant

As soon as the melanoma enters the derm there is blood vessels so at the time of the report it can show no invasion in blood vessels but I guess they cannot guarantee it will remain that way. Mine was 6 years ago stage 1 Clark 2 0.55 mm and less than one mitosis. The mitotic rate has replaced the Clarck stage in the new staging system so the lower the mitotic rate the less chance of spreading but I guess it is never 100% cure rate.

cohanja
    Participant

“As soon as the melanoma enters the derm there is blood vessels” This is what I’m trying to reconcile. Wendy (TreeFrog) in another post stated, “Blood vessels, even the smallest capillaries, don’t quite get to the epidermis or the outer part of the dermis (papillary dermis). An in situ or Stage 1 Clark’s II is not at a level where a blood vessel could penetrate it.” Scientifically, which is it? As soon as the dermis is reached, there are blood vessels? Or, blood vessels don’t reach the outer part of the dermis? I’m sure biologically/physiologically, this is known for a fact, one way or the other.

Camille
    Participant

In general, over 90% of patients with melanomas of less than 1 mm are cured following surgical removal of the melanoma. In one study evaluating surgical treatment of 602 patients with melanoma 0.75 mm or less in thickness, only 4% of patients experienced a recurrence. In another clinical study of patients treated at the Mayo Clinic, the 5-year survival rate for stage 1 melanoma of 0.75 mm or less was 98%.

on http://www.texasoncology.com

There is no blood vessels in the papillary dermis but definitely some in the dermis

Camille
    Participant

Yes exactly so only in situ have 100% chances of survival. Early stage 1a have about 98% at 5 years. So not such a bad place to be but unfortunately we always wonder if we are not in the 2%. I was doing real bad for 2years and then moved on but now scared again.

cohanja
    Participant

I think what Catherine is saying, though, is that 2% are pathology errors/mistakes

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.